Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cold Weather Shooting

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cold Weather Shooting

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 am

my wife takes Glucosamine with Chondroitin and says she feels it helps her a little .... our orthopedists also gives her shots in her knees that really do wonders for her
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm

clovishound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 am
Well, Sir Henry, this brings to mind a camping trip I made to Washington State when I was a young pup. Actually it was Air Force Survival training. The first night out in the field it was 17 below. Having been born, and grew up in central Florida this was quite a shock to me.

For contrast, we are having unseasonably warm weather here in South Carolina, and I am headed out to go hunting shortly. The high is supposed to reach nearly 80 today. I bought a short sleeve camo shirt on clearance yesterday in order to be appropriately attired.

The indoor range Clovispup and I visited yesterday was very comfortably in the 70s. It will dip down into 60s on cold days. Looking forward to a trip to the outdoor range later this month. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with sub freezing temps.
I’m going to check into this.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

I read recently in Popular Mechanics that if you use heated forearm wraps, the warmed blood from your forearms going into your fingers keeps the lube in your finger joints warm enough that the joints won't stiffen.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

jkrijt
Wrangler
Netherlands

Post by jkrijt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38 pm

I love cold weather shooting, only half the number of people at the shooting range so plenty of room and time to shoot ;-)
2 x
Jan from The Netherlands
- Henry "Small Game" .22lr
- A few CZ rifles and a pistol
- Uberti Cattleman revolver
- Two Diana Air rifles, one in .17 (it is from 1974) and one in .22 (also old)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Mags wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm
I read recently in Popular Mechanics that if you use heated forearm wraps, the warmed blood from your forearms going into your fingers keeps the lube in your finger joints warm enough that the joints won't stiffen.
Never heard of them. I’ve been known to shoot a lot to warm my hands on the barrel.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm
clovishound wrote:
Well, Sir Henry, this brings to mind a camping trip I made to Washington State when I was a young pup. Actually it was Air Force Survival training. The first night out in the field it was 17 below. Having been born, and grew up in central Florida this was quite a shock to me.

For contrast, we are having unseasonably warm weather here in South Carolina, and I am headed out to go hunting shortly. The high is supposed to reach nearly 80 today. I bought a short sleeve camo shirt on clearance yesterday in order to be appropriately attired.

The indoor range Clovispup and I visited yesterday was very comfortably in the 70s. It will dip down into 60s on cold days. Looking forward to a trip to the outdoor range later this month. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with sub freezing temps.
What? Air Force Survival Training? I'm not sure they would let you in.

Unseasonably warm weather in South Carolina? I can send you a screen shot of our local weather page if that helps.

An indoor range? They are really great when it is hot, cold, raining, or frogs are falling from the sky. Their biggest downside is the cost and you rarely can find them that have 200 meter ranges. I'm really lucky in that there happens to be one within a few minutes drive of my house that runs me $125 a year for unlimited use. That includes a card for the Pup since she is family and lives at the same address.

;)
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 pm

clovishound wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm
clovishound wrote:

What? Air Force Survival Training? I'm not sure they would let you in.

Unseasonably warm weather in South Carolina? I can send you a screen shot of our local weather page if that helps.

An indoor range? They are really great when it is hot, cold, raining, or frogs are falling from the sky. Their biggest downside is the cost and you rarely can find them that have 200 meter ranges. I'm really lucky in that there happens to be one within a few minutes drive of my house that runs me $125 a year for unlimited use. That includes a card for the Pup since she is family and lives at the same address.

;)
I though I was quoting the post above yours. I agree the Air Force doesn’t want me.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:43 am
my wife takes Glucosamine with Chondroitin and says she feels it helps her a little .... our orthopedists also gives her shots in her knees that really do wonders for her
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:44 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:02 pm

my wife has been taking it daily for over a year .... she started out using the name brand Osteo-Bifex for the first couple of months .... when she ran out while we were traveling she ended up having to go with a generic .... she couldn't tell any difference so she's taken a generic every since .... she says positive results weren't instantaneous ..... it was more that one day she realized her joins felt better and has taken it every since
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 pm

If you guys remove that weird wooden fore end on your rifles, that barrel will heat up just like a little furnace... :P
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully