Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

C-14 to a mile...

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
6MT
Wrangler
Canada

C-14 to a mile...

Post by 6MT » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:34 pm

I thought I'd document my journey to a mile, two summers ago, with my new C-14 Timberwolf. First off, a big thank you to Steve from EM Precision for really encouraging me 5 years ago to get seriously into long range precision shooting. If it wasn't for him and his skills as a builder and teacher, I'm not sure I would have been able to do this.

First....the rifle. This is my second rifle from Ross at PGWdti. (My other is a Coyote in .308win.)

It is a C-14 Timberwolf in .338LM. The scope is a NF NXS 8-32x56 over a Spuhr +20moa mount. The bipod is by LRA, their F-class. (Although the lower picture shows a light tactical model to accomadate an LRF by SilencerCo.) And that brake is an EM Precision ShockWave installed by Steve.

So load development went well with me finding a sweet spot with 93.6 grains of Retumbo. The brass is Lapua, the primers Federal 215's, and the bullets are 300 grain SMK's. Then came the seating depth tests with three depths (.005", .010", .015"), with the .010" jump being the best. Easy. (BTW, all load/seating tests were done at 201 yards.)

So, onward and outward to a mile. Well there were a few problems along the way. When I decided to try the mile, I had just been out to a friend's place plinking to 1050 yards. The rifle (and me) were more than capable with me getting bored quickly and not wasting much ammo. This made me want to try the mile the very next day.

The first problem was with the iSnipe software. Out beyond 1000m, it appeared to be "off". It got worse the further out I went. Frustrated, I asked for help from a couple who enthusiastically helped me with spotting. (Thank you Rob and Barb!) I was on steel at 1500m in four shots. Again, the math did not jive with iSnipe. At that distance, I was over 4moa high. Oh well, now on to the mile.

After three shots to make adjustments, with help from Barb, I managed my first hit at a mile! I gave Mr Smiley Face a new nose...

Not a bad shot. I followed this up with two more hits at the mile and eight at 1500m. I was pumped. But the damn math was puzzling. Thinking about it on the way home, I decided to try Applied Ballistics since I had that app on my iPad. After entering all of the data, I proceeded to roll up some fresh ammo for the following week.

BTW, here's me posing with my first hit. (Gratuitous, I know!)

A week later, I had Applied Ballistics working very close to what I had experienced a week earlier. I managed to walk the rifle out from 800m to 1500m. I then zeroed my scope at 1500m. (I know, a long way out to do that, but I had dead centre hits once I got it set.)

I tried a 5 shot string at the mile. The first three were nice hits. Then I guess I got excited and missed the fourth shot. Then the fifth, while still hitting the steel, went high left.

Oh, and I did paint over my previous week's hits before i started (you can just see the "make-up" that covered my original hit). Again, I gave Mr. Smiley Face another nose. And the two other shots were just over 4 inches. I know it's only a three shot group, but hey....I'm pretty new at this distance. The fifth shot can be seen high left on the gong.

The totals today were my best ever at this ELD. With 12 hits at 1500m and 8 hits at the mile. (I then rechecked my zero at 1000m and it was dead on.)

So I learned a great deal. Yes, I need much more practice. But it sure was a fun process. And I just may have a chance to extend things out beyond two miles in the fall....we'll see.

Technical info:

Powder: Retumbo 93.6 grains
Primer: Federal 215 magnum
Brass: Lapua
Bullet: Sierra Match King 300 grain
Headspace: 2.319"
Ogive length: 2.966" (.010" jump)
Trim length: 2.714"
Velocity: 2805fps S.D.= 8 (10 shot string)

Footnote: I have since "graduated" out to a mile and a half with a .50BMG (Big Man Gun) Just too much fun...and too hard on your wallet!
8 x
Andy 6MT

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: C-14 to a mile...

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:23 pm

Congrats!
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm

That's one heck of a good shot! I cannot imagine a shot like that. Congratulations indeed!
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:48 pm

Good shooting and great story.
Good spotters are worth their weight.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:35 pm

I thought shooting at 1000 yards was a long ways with BPCR but thats really a long shot. And yes spotters are important. Congrats Im sure the feeling was grand when you hit it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 pm

That is some impressive shooting - and equipment. Do you plan to compete at that level?
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm

You are doing what many of us will only dream of.
That has to feel great. Congrats.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm
You are doing what many of us will only dream of. That has to feel great. Congrats.

I couldn't agree more .... I've fired 200 yards and enjoy doing so .... the concept of shooting at a target a mile away is hard to envision
1 x

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 am

Speaking of "spotters", they are the real bosses...the guy/gal with the finger on the trigger is just doing what the boss tells him/her...Of course real spotters had to graduate to that position from shooter...."Send it"...shprs74
0 x

6MT
Wrangler
Canada

Post by 6MT » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am

Cofisher wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:24 pm
You are doing what many of us will only dream of.
That has to feel great. Congrats.
Thank you for your kind words. I've since gone out further than a mile. I've made hits at 2600 yards (a mile and a half) with my .50BMG.

Here's a pic of that beast...

Very addicting.
2 x
Andy 6MT