Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 39AS Question

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Marlin 39AS Question

Post by Ernie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:33 pm

This is one of mine from 1954. Has mounting holes tapped on receiver and 4 tapped holes on the barrel. Not sure what they are for. Have another from 54 with a period Weaver scope mounted but it is buried at the moment.
CrlyKnqjTKmb4NJfak28iA.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:18 pm

Remington made guns will have a serial number that starts with MR and also the MR stamp instead of the JM on the barrel. Note that there were a few "transition" 39s with a mix of markings in the 2008-09 period when Remington was moving everything to N.Y. and using old JM inventory parts.

Again, not all Remington made Marlins are bad - I have friends with the "Remlins" that love them - but those early years following the buyout were the ones that gave the Remington such a bad rep and it's been hard for them to overcome.

Also note that it's no coincidence that the Marlin lever models that required the most fitting are the ones that have given Remington the most grief.

The simplest Marlin actions (and the most modern) with the least fitting required are the 336/1895. Remington has done a pretty good job with these models. Friends that have them like them.

The 1894s have been tougher for Remington because they are a much older action and need a more precise fitting. Remington has made a committment to get these right and recent ones I've seen looked fine.

By far, the model that has given Remington the most grief is the 39. That split receiver action needs a lot of hand fitting. (If you've ever taken a 39 apart into its two sections, you'll notice that one section will have the last digits of the serial number stamped on the inside.) This explains why regular production on the 39 has ceased and is now a Remington Custom Shop, only, offering.
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 am

The Marlin 39 from the custom shop is about $3500 so I guess that my 39 has gone up in value. Remember the 39 was never chambered in .22 magnum like the H.R.A. rifles are.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:19 am

Remington made guns will have a serial number that starts with MR and also the MR stamp instead of the JM on the barrel
MR and Serial number on the left side of receiver and a REP stamped on the barrel instead of JM
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:19 am
MR and Serial number on the left side of receiver and a REP stamped on the barrel instead of JM

the serial number of our 39AS is stamped immediately behind the hammer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am

My mistake on the barrel stamp. Yes, REP.

JEBar, what are the first two digits or letters of the serial number on yours?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am
JEBar, what are the first two digits or letters of the serial number on yours?

I don't know, its in NC and I'm in Texas ... as noted in the opening post, I've never been a Marlin fan .... my Grandfather introduced me to firearms an hunting .... his big game hunting rifle was a Winchester Model 94 30-30 .... he had no use for Marlin or Savage rifles, guess from early on I adopted his brand loyalty .... I do keep a list with me of serial serial numbers of the firearms that are important to me .... in thinking about it, other than its a long standing habit, I can't think of a good reason for doing so .... the serial number of his Model 94 is on list, the one for the 39AS isn't .... I have already learned a good bit from this thread and that info is appreciated
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 pm

I’ve learned a lot also.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

Interesting that you should mention the Winchester versus Marlin thing. In talking to collectors, I've learned the Marlin lever guns, prior to WW II, were more expensive than Winchester lever guns and considered higher grade guns, even by some Winchester fans. These are considered highly collectible lever guns, never produced in numbers to keep up with Winchester.

After WW II, Marlin changed direction and modernized their 30-30 lever gun design to make it simpler and a more cost effective gun to produce. Winchester, of course, refused to modernize their gun designs and kept producing them in the old cost intensive way. Finally caught up with them in 1964, of course.
2 x