Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cold Weather Shooting

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Cold Weather Shooting

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Cold weather can produce it’s own problems when it comes to cold weather shooting. Actions can jam and firing pins can stick if you lube them wrong. I might have trouble in sub-zero temperatures but it never gets that cold here.

I’m not quite sure what it is about cold weather but I’ve found I shoot better in cold weather. Maybe it’s because the barrel remains cold or because my eyes tear up just the right about which enables me to see better.

Or maybe it’s because I might be the only one on the range. What ever the case is I plan on going on Friday if the road down to the range is passable. The floors are mostly finished and I can return for short periods (bad smells from the finish) to be more thoughtful of what I want to shoot.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Cold Weather Shooting

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:35 pm
Cold weather can produce it’s own problems when it comes to cold weather shooting.
the older I get, the more problems it creates for me .... simply put, the colder it gets, the more my joints hurt .... the more they hurt, the harder it gets for me to do much of anything .... tip of my cap to you guys who don't just function but do really well in handling cold temps
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Not much of a cold weather shooter myself just because I dont like the cold anymore. That Cowboy up north is tougher than the rest when it comes to that in my book. Cold and 60 mph winds dont keep him from the range. Hope you are able to go Gene.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 pm
Not much of a cold weather shooter myself just because I dont like the cold anymore. That Cowboy up north is tougher than the rest when it comes to that in my book. Cold and 60 mph winds dont keep him from the range. Hope you are able to go Gene.
I’m not nearly as tough as RR. I don’t like it when it gets into the teens. At least for shooting. I’ll camp in the cold.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Think maybe the coldest range day I've had was around zero. Guns work fine but my arthritic hands don't.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 pm
Guns work fine but my arthritic hands don't.
sadly understood
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Still mid 50's and foggy/damp around here in Central Va. and that is supposed to change come next week when normal Jan. highs will be upper 30's/low 40's. We just finished our evening dog walk and I saw a dogwood tree with buds already!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 am

I don't consider 30 ish weather to be 'cold' as long as the day is nice with some sun.

Here in Central Oregon we can settle into the 30's mid winter but it's easy to get used to and I'll go shooting if it's moderately nice.

A couple years ago a friend and I went out one day and it was 22 degrees and we set up and after only a few minutes we decided it was just too cold and packed it up. We could have started a fire but lunch at a local tavern sounded much better!
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 am

Well, Sir Henry, this brings to mind a camping trip I made to Washington State when I was a young pup. Actually it was Air Force Survival training. The first night out in the field it was 17 below. Having been born, and grew up in central Florida this was quite a shock to me.

For contrast, we are having unseasonably warm weather here in South Carolina, and I am headed out to go hunting shortly. The high is supposed to reach nearly 80 today. I bought a short sleeve camo shirt on clearance yesterday in order to be appropriately attired.

The indoor range Clovispup and I visited yesterday was very comfortably in the 70s. It will dip down into 60s on cold days. Looking forward to a trip to the outdoor range later this month. Hopefully, we won't have to deal with sub freezing temps.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am

OK, I'll put this out for what it's worth. I am in my eightieth year. Yup. old fart. About twenty years ago my hands started to hurt really bad. It was painful to even touch things let alone fire a pistol. My cousin's wife is a nurse and she told me that their dog got old and was crippled and they found a remedy. She suggested I try the same drug. I did and in a month it worked wonders. Twenty years later I still take it twice a day and my Doctor tells others to take it as well.
It is called Gluecosamine with Condrotine. Not sure on the spelling. It's over the counter and we get it at the local Walmart.
My Doc says it works on the membranes in the joints. Whatever I know it works.
I had an old black lab. She was my sweetheart, but she got really crippled so I started opening the capsules and sprinkling it on her dog food. It worked wonders for her as well.

Check with your Doc if you feel the need, but I have been telling old coots about this for years.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66