Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 39AS Question

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Marlin 39AS Question

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am

admitting up front that I've never been a Marlin fan and I know little about them .... it is my understanding that the difference in a Model 39A and Model 39AS is the AS had a safety .... I've read a good number of post that mention Model 39A rifles as being JM Marlins .... Question : are there Model 39AS rifles that are JM Marlins :?:
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Marlin 39AS Question

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am
admitting up front that I've never been a Marlin fan and I know little about them .... it is my understanding that the difference in a Model 39A and Model 39AS is the AS had a safety .... I've read a good number of post that mention Model 39A rifles as being JM Marlins .... Question : are there Model 39AS rifles that are JM Marlins :?:
Being the safety started started in 1988 there is plenty of JM Marlins with the "AS" on the barrel. They used it for a while and eventually went back to just the A. Not sure on the years of start and finish. After 2009 there was very few Marlin 39A' models that were probably made when Remington took over. Maybe just enough to use up all the parts from the old plant. My friend had a Remington model that had fantastic wood but he never fired it and sold it. It brought really good money so it found a new home. Only Remington made one I ever saw.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 am

As above, plenty of JM Marlins with the AS designation out there, since Marlin went with the safety in the late 80s and Remington didn't buy out Marlin till 2008.

Note that AS designation not only indicates a cross bolt safety on the 39, but also a rebounding hammer. The rebounding hammer was something added on the 39 when the safety was added, but not on the centerfire models when the safety was added. That rebounding hammer on the 39 AS has been a source of controversy with some 39 fans. Usually works fine and most owners have no problem with it. When it doesn't work, though, it can be a real headache. The other issue is that a lot of 39 fans claim the rebounding hammer made for a crummier trigger, but I can't verify that because all the Marlin 39s I've owned were pre-safety models.

In terms of resale value, JM Marlins without the safety bring higher prices, but even more so with the 39 because those models didn't use a rebounding hammer.

Lastly, note that 90s vintage JM Marlins vary a lot in the fit and finish and QC department. Have had some great ones and some not so great. In fact, I knew a gunshop that just stopped carrying Marlin lever guns in the mid 90s because they got tired of sending them back. The QC was that bad. Marlin started to have some serious financial issues in the 90s and that continued up to the Remington buyout. My advice on those late vintage JM Marlins is to inspect before you buy. Don't assume its a great gun just because it is a JM vintage.
2 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 pm

info appreciated .... ours is shown below .... it was passed on to us after the death of a friend of over 50 years .... I believe it to be a JM but need to make sure when we get back home .... everything from looks to operation of the action to trigger pull are fine .... as a firearm I have no interest in it whatsoever but because of its history it will stay in the family .... its weight and balance are such that it isn't a youth's rifle; none the less, when his father (our son) says he's ready I've decided to pass it on to our oldest Grandson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm

I have a 2009 39A with the rebounding hammer. My issue with the hammer is since I scoped the rifle I installed a hammer extension. Even with the light weight of an aluminum extension it caused light strikes leading to failure to fire quite often. Once I removed the hammer extension all has been fine. A side note, this rifle is very accurate and fun to shoot. It’s heavy, similar to carrying a centerfire hunting. Note the JM stamp where the barrel and receiver meet.

Edit. JEBar, looks like we posted at the same time. I don’t see the JM stamp on either side of your barrel but not to say it’s not there somewhere.
519A6505-C02D-446B-9137-417114B149C9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm

understood on mounting a scope .... I put one on ours and did have to install a hammer extension .... have since removed the scope but not the hammer extension .... haven't had any problem with light strikes but I've fired so few rounds through it that might not mean anything
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:57 pm

I as well have a later model I got very reasonable. Had to put a new improved extractor in it but now it works great. Its very accurate and I do enjoy shooting it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm

The rebounding hammer is a much bigger problem than the cross safety. The rebound causes a vibration through the rifle that some claim is detrimental to accuracy. I was always kind of happy when I was collecting 39 A Marlins to run into a safety model as they were usually a bargain and I ground off the rebound strut and had a good shooting and very reliable 39 A to hunt with and used it like you would a internal hammer rifle. Grinding the strut off then a lighter hammer spring was needed and that actually helps with the trigger pull. Squirrel hunting I loaded the gun and put the safety one with hammer back and put the safety off when getting a shot at a squirrel and levered another round in and back on safety. Also could carry with the fired round left in the chamber until ready to shoot a squirrel and lever a live round in. Marlin actually recommended the safety be used even with no mods to the hammer strut. I keep factory struts in my box to return the rifle to rebounding hammer before selling one or trading. Don't pass up buying a "AS" if it is a nice one. They can be made to work well and be very reliable. All this stuff Marlin went through was trying to fix something that wasn't broken to start with. Same dumb thing Ruger did with the MK series hand guns.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 pm

I don’t have anything to add but am reading every word of every thread because I’m in the market for a 39A.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:19 pm
I have a 2009 39A with the rebounding hammer. My issue with the hammer is since I scoped the rifle I installed a hammer extension. Even with the light weight of an aluminum extension it caused light strikes leading to failure to fire quite often. Once I removed the hammer extension all has been fine. A side note, this rifle is very accurate and fun to shoot. It’s heavy, similar to carrying a centerfire hunting. Note the JM stamp where the barrel and receiver meet.

Edit. JEBar, looks like we posted at the same time. I don’t see the JM stamp on either side of your barrel but not to say it’s not there somewhere.

519A6505-C02D-446B-9137-417114B149C9.jpeg
Looking at Hatchdog's pic of his 39AS, his has two more holes/screws[?] forward on the port side than mine. Also, mine is drilled/tapped for a receiver sight. port side, just under top rear screw. Mine is from 1957. Anyone else have one like that? Interesting the subtle changes over the years. And I couldn't see "JM" stamp on JEBar's either. It is usually right at the barrel/receiver, one side or the other as Hatchdog mentioned.
1 x