Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Think I will keep my Python money in my pocket

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Think I will keep my Python money in my pocket

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Have been reading about several issues on the first run of new Colt Pythons and the cylinder not turning is a big one
especially on an expensive new revolver.
Even happened to ol' Hickok45's Python sample that Bud's Guns sent to him! Better to wait a year before spending those bucks.

Think a new Henry side gate .357 rifle a wiser choice,when they come out, plus lot's of change left over!

Watch towards the end of video. https://youtu.be/7dO-lQEX49U
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Think I will keep my Python money in my pocket

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:39 pm

right up front, a Colt Python has never been on my "Revolvers I Want" list .... that said, I hate to hear their reintroduction may not be ready for prime time .... sure hope they get the bugs worked out quickly
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 pm

Colt's big deal was the re-engineered the action leaving out 14 parts. Maybe they need one of the parts back in!
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm

They should left well enough alone. Colt is just trying to cash in on what the python market has done. Ive never been a Colt fan there 1911 was way over rated in my book.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:43 am

Pretty good thread on the new Python over on the Beretta Forum if you're interested:

https://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=143982

Here's a Jerry Miculek video that was mentioned in that thread, I'm not really a revolver guy, have my old Charter Arms .38 and my Blackhawk but I found it pretty interesting. He seems to prefer S&W, said it is pretty easy and reasonable money to do a good trigger job on a S&W but very expensive to do one on Python.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbVl3cDMTY
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 am

My 44 yr. old S&W M-66 .357 Mag has a really nice well broken in DA and SA trigger now and shoots really well.
Think it will put them out there as well as any new Python and as a bonus the cylinder turns all the time when under stress of fire!
Attachments
My Model 66.jpg
My Model 66.jpg (104.77 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 am

Jerry Miculek can shoot! But, I'll just keep my Blackhawk in .357 . The Python isn't for me. For that kind of money, I want a reliable gun. Not one that may have cylinder lock while firing. Nada.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 am

Colt knows exactly what they are doing.

They 'threw' a new Python together with some 'changes' to hopefully satisfy the market and knowing they will sell at MSRP or more (and already are).

They will produce them in limited numbers and while they are selling will continue to do so and as soon as sales soften up they stop producing them or reduce the numbers to very few.

They pulled this a few years back with the 1873 New Model Army and you never hear of any being sold.

I read a story a couple years ago there were only TWO people at Colt assembling what few 1873s they were making.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 am

Sorry to hear about the issues with Colt's new version of the Python. Not that I would buy one, anyway, but it does, unfortunately, reinforce my opinion on the erratic QC issues I've had with current production Colt guns. For that kind of money, I have gone to other brands of guns which have proven flawless.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:50 am

My Taurus Defender will cylinder lock. Found that the just fired spent casing was backing out of the cylinder tight enough to put the brakes on the cylinder being able to turn.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234