Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old Woodstove Rejuvinated

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Old Woodstove Rejuvinated

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 am

Been burning wood in this old. Coalbrookdale Darby coal stove since 1985. Finally replaced shake bars with rebar and added ember retainer mesh on top of rebar. Difference is amazing. Increased cleanout to once every
24 hours and increased burn time and effective heat output to ten hours. As this stove is 550 lbs, I was not looking forward to replacing. I should have bought the wood burning grates years ago when they were available.
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Old Woodstove Rejuvinated

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:20 am

That stove looks serious for sure. Kind of a cool lookin old stove.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 am

It is rated for 55000 btu's at full tilt. We don't run it that hot. We also do not run it if the outside temp is above 40 degrees. The company is no longer around. It was built in England in the oldest cast iron foundry in the world (circa 1560). You can still get selected parts for them.
Most of the parts come from England. I tried burning coal twice, years ago. Drafts are too critical, my 12x12 flue in old original house were too big, so we switched to wood.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:12 am

for many years I ran a secondary chimney cleaning business .... over time, I've seen and serviced hundreds of wood stoves .... yours is a fine one .... one well worth maintaining
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 am

The original finish has not been touched. Need to redo. Do you have any recomendations? I was hoping for something that doesn't smell or smoke too bad. Probably wishful thinking on my part.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:35 am

Cool stove or should I say hot!
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 am

PJM wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:20 am
The original finish has not been touched. Need to redo. Do you have any recomendations? I was hoping for something that doesn't smell or smoke too bad. Probably wishful thinking on my part.
I was told by one manufacture of wood stoves that their finishing process gets down into the pores of the metal .... don't know if that is true or not but have no reason to doubt it .... I never found an aftermarket product that would last under the intense heat that can be generated by a good wood stove .... with double wall stoves designed so that air from a fan would carry out some of that heat ... even with them, I didn't find a process I could apply with confidence .... sadly, the more efficient the stove the stronger the hard creosote buildup in the chimney and the more difficult it can be to remove
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Thanks for info. You are correct. Crusty creosote is better than the sticky oily type. Chimney fires can be nasty and reach 2000 degrees. Enough to turn mortar to dust. Clean ours 2× a year at the beginning of burning and again midway about 3 months later.The Good news is we can do it from the cellar with rods and brushes. Still a pain but don't do ladders anymore.
0 x