Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The irritating tube/case rim hang up

Tell us how you do it
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

The irritating tube/case rim hang up

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:36 pm

Is no more. Simple fix for that irritating issue of the inner mag tube hanging up on cartridge rims. I have the steel follower, and I've had this constant hanging up since I bought it last Fall. Decided to do something about it today. So doubled up on some lightly oiled shotgun size patches on a cleaning rod to get a tight fit, and ran it down the tube, pushing the follower all the way to the stop. They came out really filthy. Followed that with clean dry patches until they came out clean. Loaded full mag (7) with a variety of .41mag, and the inner tube now goes down smoothly with no hang up and no fiddling. Slick as a babies butt. Took about 5 minutes and no disassembly needed. :D
8 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: The irritating tube/case rim hang up

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:47 pm

My experience is that the inside of the outer tube is usually filthy right out of the box, but I've never done any cleaning of the inside of the INNER tube, so thanks for the tip!

Like everything else when it comes to firearms, cleaner is better!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:45 pm

I had gotten the cleaning inner tube tip from mistered sometime mid last year. Didnt really help much on my Henry. What helped the most was federal fusion ammo. Different shape bullet on the fusion ammo.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:14 pm

So doubled up on some lightly oiled shotgun size patches on a cleaning rod to get a tight fit, and ran it down the tube
A .410 bore mop works dandy for this.

ALSO - a 'tech tip' - shortly after posting this I decided to disassemble my load tube to give it and its parts a through cleaning - (as well as examine the follower as I plan to design and turn a different one). It is important to understand the internals of a load tube need to be clean and dry for proper functioning.

Its very easy to do. The lock pin at the end of the tube is 'stamped' on the end that is flush with the tube to create a friction fit in the finger knob and it comes out very easily with a couple light taps with a hammer on the PROTRUDING end to get it moving and then I used a punch to knock it the rest of the way out.

For re-installation I will get a block of scrap wood and drill a small hole in it and lay the tube on the block to support it when I tap the pin back in and the hole is for the PROTRUDING end of the pin to clear the block.

After cleaning and reassembly I was able to load 11 rounds of .38 Special without a Hangup or the the lever popping open.

I recommend this to anyone with a tube load Henry. Cleaning the bore of the tube is important but the spring and follower need a good, initial cleaning as well.
IMG_1569.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:44 am

Mistered wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:14 pm
So doubled up on some lightly oiled shotgun size patches on a cleaning rod to get a tight fit, and ran it down the tube
A .410 bore mop works dandy for this.

ALSO - a 'tech tip' - shortly after posting this I decided to disassemble my load tube to give it and its parts a through cleaning - (as well as examine the follower as I plan to design and turn a different one). It is important to understand the internals of a load tube need to be clean and dry for proper functioning.

Its very easy to do. The lock pin at the end of the tube is 'stamped' on the end that is flush with the tube to create a friction fit in the finger knob and it comes out very easily with a couple light taps with a hammer on the PROTRUDING end to get it moving and then I used a punch to knock it the rest of the way out.

For re-installation I will get a block of scrap wood and drill a small hole in it and lay the tube on the block to support it when I tap the pin back in and the hole is for the PROTRUDING end of the pin to clear the block.

After cleaning and reassembly I was able to load 11 rounds of .38 Special without a Hangup or the the lever popping open.

I recommend this to anyone with a tube load Henry. Cleaning the bore of the tube is important but the spring and follower need a good, initial cleaning as well.
So you just tapped the pin out from the protruding end? I just want to be sure. I tapped a few times and it doesnt look like its going to budge but I would like to clean up the inside of the mag as I do with every other mag I buy.

Is the pin tapered so you can just tap it back in and it will stay in place?
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:01 pm

So you just tapped the pin out from the protruding end?
NO - you want to tap it out from the SHORT (flush) end.

I originally mentioned to tap it out from the protruding end and this was because I discovered the flush end of the pin had been slightly crimped to secure it but it would be better to try to to tap the short (flush) end as the slight crimp should not inhibit it's movement.

The ''protruding' end is the direction it came through and will have slightly 'flared' the hole it was going through outward (look closely and you will see) so you will have to have to remove it by pushing on the FLUSH end.

Make sense? The pin has to be removed the SAME direction it went in - other wise if you try to tap on the protruding end you will be pushing the slight flare of the hole back inwards against the pin and it will tighten.

NO - the pin is NOT tapered - it is held in place by friction only.

Make sure you support the tube when tapping out the pin. One idea I previously suggested is to take a piece of wood and create a half round 'channel' in the wood and drill a hole slightly larger than the pin, place the protruding end of the pin in the hole and use a SHARPENED punch (smaller than the pin of course) to lightly tap the flush end of the pin.

After removal I recommend 'stoning' most of the crimp off the flush end to facilitate reinstallation. It should still fit tightly with just a small amount of the crimp remaining.

IF when you have replaced the pin and moderate tapping does NOT set it completely flush again (and you can say, catch a 'fingernail' on the end) you may have to lightly 'stone' the end of the pin flush with the tube - I did.
1 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:44 pm

I lost my nerve and decided not to go that far in my detailing. I may give it a good spray with some clp while pushing in the follower with a dowel but I put my hammer away! :)

I saw that a replacement mag is about $24 so I think I will just order one and have it around.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 pm

At at minimum get some patches or a bore mop to the inside of the tube to clean and dry it out OR -
Get a can of Brakleen, push the spring back all the way with a small dowel and hose out the inside of the tube with the Brakleen and blow it dry with compressed air.

The inside of the tube needs to be as clean and dry as possible for proper operation.
0 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Mistered wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:15 pm
At at minimum get some patches or a bore mop to the inside of the tube to clean and dry it out OR -
Get a can of Brakleen, push the spring back all the way with a small dowel and hose out the inside of the tube with the Brakleen and blow it dry with compressed air.

The inside of the tube needs to be as clean and dry as possible for proper operation.
Great suggestion! Brake cleaner I have in the shed. Dont know why I didnt think of it!
0 x