Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long ranger 308 not grouping

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Long ranger 308 not grouping

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 pm

I had gotten a similar response. I called got more information and asked them to add it to the customer service portal. Which they did.
plscoggin wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am
Reply to comment & update:
Yes, I've shot the gun several times. I bought it last year & have tried several times with several different types of ammo to sight it in... I've also tried two different scopes (vortex & leuopold). I've also had other people shoot it...

I recieved it back from Henry yesterday & honestly, I am kind of disappointed in their response. It came back with just a tag saying "repaired". I went logged on to see the customer service ticket & it just said "repaired"... I really don't know what they did or if they shot it... I'll call them tomorrow (after Thanksgiving) to see if I can get more information on what they repaired & what they looked at to resolve the issue...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm

It came back with just a tag saying "repaired"
Pretty dang weak IMO.

I certainly hope they have some 'real' information for you and not just try to BS you off.
0 x

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by plscoggin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Update on .308 Long Ranger.... After I received it back from Henry with the "Repaired" tag... I shot the gun & couldn't get any consistency from it. I called Henry on Friday after Thanksgiving & they were closed (very understandable)... Then I tried to call again on Monday & stayed on hold waiting for someone for several minutes (close to 10 minutes) and finally hung up because I couldn't wait any longer....

Anyway - As much as I loved the look of the gun & hated to get rid of it, I got rid of it because I just could not trust it to hunt with. I will try to contact Henry again to just see what I can find out for the new owner... but I am sort of disappointed in Henry Customer Service at this point. Hopefully, I will have the chance to share that with someone from the company that may can implement some improvement systems. I still have a couple of Henry .22's that I love & will continue to shoot, but that'll probably be it for me & Henry rifles...
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 pm

This is an unfortunate situation and too bad it did not turn out better.

As a comparison what gun do you own (or have owned) that has shot the BEST for you under all conditions, say weather, off hand, bench rest etc.

I am just 'grabbing at straws' and trying to come up with a 'control' element that might shed some light on this.
0 x

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by plscoggin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 pm

I’ve typically had good luck with my old Ruger bolt action 30-.06. & Remington Core Lokt 150 grain bullets with Leupold Vari-X III. I can get 1” ground at 100 yds consistently with that setup.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:41 pm

bummer that is. :(
plscoggin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm
... but that'll probably be it for me & Henry rifles...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 pm

I’ve typically had good luck with my old Ruger
Might be a good time to get back out with it and make sure everything is still the same and you are still grouping 1" with it.

I still hope you follow up with Henry and try to get something from them as to what they specifically found wrong with, or did to your rifle to 'fix' the problem.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 am

You could have told Henry, it wasn't fixed and that you wanted to send the rifle back for a full refund. Couple others here on the forum have done that.
plscoggin wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm
.... As much as I loved the look of the gun & hated to get rid of it, I got rid of it because I just could not trust it to hunt with.
0 x

Chuckh65
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Chuckh65 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:36 am

Yes I did just that with my 6.5 and my son is waiting on a check from henry right know from his long ranger.Henrys customer service is awesome they have always taken care of me
1 x

Bad Bob
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Bad Bob » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Is it the gun or the shooter? Trigger pull? Reloader? Bullet I.D. and weight? Distance to target? Group size?
Tell us more!
0 x
Old age and treachery beats young and stupid very time!