Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hunting boots

Tell us about the accessories you like, want, can't live without or wish they made. Throw in a picture or two also.
clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Hunting boots

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:30 pm

The old pair of store brand boots I've been hunting in have reached the end of their life. At the price I got them, they owe me nothing.

I've been thinking about a new pair. I don't want to spend a whole lot, since I don't hunt that often, but standard sneakers just don't seem to cut it, and waterproof is a definite asset.

I've been thinking about the Herman survivors at Wally World. The price is right and they seem fairly well made.

I would prefer to keep them under $100, but would consider a little higher if the quality and features were there.

I've also considered snake boots, since we have a lot of mister no shoulders around here, and it is warm enough for them to be active most any time of year. Between the cost, and the fact that they look uncomfortable, I'm not sure it's worth it. Actual cases of poisonous snake bites seem pretty rare in our area, and normally don't involve hunting.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Hunting boots

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm

pull-on or lace-up :?:

insulated :?:
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Lace up, non insulated. The first couple of weeks of hunting season here are often quite warm. Short sleeves, still sweating warm, and a Thermacell is a must to keep the skeeters at bay.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Rocky Men's 8 Inch Retraction Hunting Boot .... I've had good luck with the Rocky brand .... the ones in this link do have a lining but ===> https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mens-RKS02 ... 507&sr=8-5
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:30 pm

L.L. Bean 8"
$139.00 and take 20% off until 12/03
Warranted against defects in materials and craftsmanship forever.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31179?p ... =Tan/Brown
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Looking for a good pair of boots. Ant suggestion?
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Herman survivors used to be a quality hunting shoe. After the move to China I bought a pair that were absolutely the worst hunting shoe I ever had. Then I switched brands and bought Timberland even after seeing they were made in China. Just about the same bad quality and short life as Herman's.
I then went with Red Wing and now I will buy nothing else as they have been fantastic hunting shoes and I am very hard on shoes from working on my knees and bending the leather constantly and they take the beating. I even wore a pair after the leather cracked open and they still didn't leak through the inner water proof gore-tex liner. Makes me feel good to look at the label and says Made in the USA at Red Wing, Minnesota.
I buy mine when they go on sale at a saddle and leather shop when the new models come out I buy the last years left over ones two pair at a time then I am good for quite a while. When they go on sale they can be bought in the price range or slightly higher than the China made short life span leakers. I have changed some of my friends over to Red Wing shoes and they say they will never change back to the other brands they once bought. Shop around and look for close outs. Sometimes the only thing that changes from the last years to the new ones is the camo pattern on the material on the sides.
1 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm

I had a pair of Rocky boots with the light insulation I wore for YEARS. Graet boot if you can find the ones you want. I currently have a pair of Wolverine[600 grams Thinsulate ] I use if I go to Idaho in late Fall. There are a lot of boots to choose from. It will take some looking.

Edit: Check the "Iron Ridge" boot from Cabelas. Uninsulated, but, has Gore-Tex. Lace up, $109. Worth a look.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:40 pm

]LL Bean. These cost me $89.99.
20191203_163021.jpg
20191203_163021.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
Even though they are slip on, they are secure and snug once zipped up. Great boots. Light weight as well.
20191203_163001.jpg
20191203_163001.jpg (97.61 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:39 pm

that is the only style hunting boot that I remember my Grandfather ever wore .... I remember trying on a cheap knockoff pair that had no cushioning above the hard rubber sole .... the hurt my feet and to this day, I've never put on another pair .... good ones have to be more comfortable
0 x