Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reloading Hornady LeverEvolution brass

All things reloading here
Albertaktm
Tenderfoot
Canada

Reloading Hornady LeverEvolution brass

Post by Albertaktm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Finally, after days of research and talking to knowledgeable folks, I fired up my brand new Classic Turrent Press and 2 of my 3 sets of reloading dies.

Did 100 rounds of 44 Mag, 240 grain 7 guns of Titegroup. Loaded up 16 rounds of the same with 9 grains. After a couple of botched rounds it went really well ( enough reading and talking , practical time)!

Switched over to the 45-70. A couple more goofs but it went well. Loaded up 50 rounds of 300 grain plated with 58 grains of IMR 3130.

I had a bunch of fired once Hornady LeverEvolution brass and a bunch of new Winchester brass. I started with the Hornady. Set the dies with this brass.

Switched over to the new stuff after 30 or so. I started getting a few buckled cases seating the bullets. WTF? Looked at the finished product and noticed the new brass going right up past the cannelure while the other Hornady I had done were just below the cannelure. Both had exact OAL of 2.550. Measured the empty cases and sure enough, the Hornady is a few mils shorter than the book length spec. The new stuff was bang on.

Everything chambers and fires fine.

I picked up 3 different bags of cleaned once fired 30-30 from the gun show yesterday. First thing I did was take one from each bag and measure! They were all the same.

All in all my first learning experience loading! I didn't measure the once fired zHornady first before loading as I didn't figure it would stretch much with one firing.
Maybe it shrunk!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Reloading Hornady LeverEvolution brass

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Hornady LeverEvolution brass isn't standard size and should ONLY be reloaded with their LeverEvolution bullets ... because we prefer to load other bullets, we will not reload any of their brass
1 x

Albertaktm
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Albertaktm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm

So I got a good tight crimp and theOAL is correct. Chambers and fires fine. Can you explain why I shouldn’t use it?. I don’t plan on buying Hornady bullets and don’t really want to throw out 150 hornady cases.

It’s just plinking rounds. Not shooting groups with this rifle. Or hunting.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Leverevolution brass is not within SAAMI specs for standard ammunition. You may get other opinions on this, but I would think that the smaller case volume would have an effect on pressure ... with a mild load it could be safe. I'd suggest starting low and working up your loads.
Albertaktm wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm
So I got a good tight crimp and the OAL is correct. Chambers and fires fine. Can you explain why I shouldn’t use it?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:47 pm

the choice is very much up to you ... my concern is, SAAMI specs are there for a reason .... with LeverEvolution brass the bottom of a standard length bullet will not provide the same space for powder as it does with standard length brass ... with some powders, compression can be an issue .... here again, after considering everything, the choice is yours
0 x

Albertaktm
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Albertaktm » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:54 pm

CT:

Good point. The books said 59 to 64 grains of my IMR 3130. I loaded everything to 58 grains as a few load data reports stated 51 to 60. My Lee 2nd addition and the Hodgdon said 59-64 so that’s what I went with. Sort of.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Watch out for the shorter Hornady flex tip brass in .45 Colt also!
0 x

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 pm

I love Hornady bullets and load them for many calibers, however, I do not prefer their brass. I have been using Starline for all calibers and have never had a single problem, and many reloads on each casing.
0 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.

BruniX
Cowhand
France

Post by BruniX » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 am

runnin n gunnin wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 pm
I love Hornady bullets and load them for many calibers, however, I do not prefer their brass. I have been using Starline for all calibers and have never had a single problem, and many reloads on each casing.
interesting,
I would like to test flextip in 45-70, but because of the non-standard length of the cases, I did not want to try ....
In addition, I do not have the hornady reload data ...
Do you mean that you can use flex tip 45-70 in starline standard cases?
BruniX
0 x
"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it"
W. Churchill

Shadow 2 SA - CZ
P08 - Luger
AR-15 - SDI
586 - S&W
97 - CZ
T3 Tac. - Tikka
1895 SBL - Marlin
1860 COLT - Pietta

runnin n gunnin
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by runnin n gunnin » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am

BruniX wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:28 am
runnin n gunnin wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:16 pm
interesting,
I would like to test flextip in 45-70
, but because of the non-standard length of the cases, I did not want to try ....
In addition, I do not have the hornady reload data ...
Do you mean that you can use flex tip 45-70 in starline standard cases?
BruniX
Hey BruniX. I use Hornady for everything, but have not yet loaded for the 45-70. I have my dies, shell holder, crimp die, etc coming from Midway this week. Having said that, I also have a box of Hornady flext tip 45-70 factory ammo to shoot when I get my Henry side gate 45-70 for Christmas.
I know the flex tip is listed in Hornady's reload book. I will pull the data today and follow up with another post with the information to you.

Bye the way, I admire your Churchill quote re: remembering history, one I use often, especially with the younger generation.
2 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for my fallen brothers.