Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Trigger Mods

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Trigger Mods

Post by kamml » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 am

Ok Henry Guru's I have a question for ya'll,

My stock Long Ranger 6.5 trigger breaks clean but at a very high value, over 6 lbs. That's to high in my book. I want to lower it to under 4 lbs. After watching the Henry maintenance video for my model it looks like I can drop the rear stock to access the trigger spring. My question is, if I cut a couple of coils off the spring and restore it back to its original length will that reduce my trigger pull weight? I will pick up a couple of trigger springs and save the original, you know just in case. I did not see any other spring in the receiver during the video other than a small spring for the trigger block linkage.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Trigger Mods

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:34 am

working on a Long Ranger is a world unto its own .... I have no clue what is involved but do know that you need to be very cautious about doing anything that approaches touching the action gearing .... the same is true with the Browning BLR after which it is patterned .... we have several members who have gunsmithing skills, hopefully they will be able to offer some assistance .... as for me, I take mine to a trusted gunsmith .. ;)
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:27 am

I'd be more inclined to do a little gentle judicious polishing and lube of the internals (sear, etc.) instead of messing around with springs.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

kamml
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by kamml » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am

The trigger spring is easy to modify without touching the gear and rack. To get to the gearing it entails a serious amount of disassembly. Watching the video even that doesn't look really difficult. But as we all know looks can be deceiving so its something I would rather not take on myself. I am thinking that I can get the springs through Brownnels. It would be nice if the factory had recommendations on which spring to use for a given weight. Then it would be snap to make that improvement. The Long Ranger is not an AR to be toyed around with, its a well made high end rifle for discriminating shootists, who happen to enjoy American made lever action rifles, right. :D
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:13 pm

kamml wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am
It would be nice if the factory had recommendations on which spring to use for a given weight. Then it would be snap to make that improvement. The Long Ranger is not an AR to be toyed around with, its a well made high end rifle for discriminating shootists, who happen to enjoy American made lever action rifles, right. :D

AMEN .... as to spring recommendations, in today's world the potential for liability legal issues is simply too high for them to do so .... much like they cannot officially condone the use of anything but factory ammo .... looking forward to following your progress
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm

My question is, if I cut a couple of coils off the spring and restore it back to its original length will that reduce my trigger pull weight?
Restore it back to it's original length by stretching it?
It will actually be stiffer if you stretch it and then slowly compress to who knows what.

You need a spring of the original length with less compression 'weight' however a lighter spring may not necessarily reduce trigger pull as a lot of that is related to the trigger components, how they fit and interact with each other.

I would start with GunnyGene's recommendation with regard to the polishing and lube of the internals first before moving on to springs. Not all gun actions can be improved with different springs and in some cases case affect other cycling or firing operations.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:55 pm

Darn right it is!
kamml wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:49 am
... its a well made high end rifle for discriminating shootists, who happen to enjoy American made lever action rifles, right. :D
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234