Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Marlin 57 rifle

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Marlin 57 rifle

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:06 pm

I have a marlin 39a mounties and think it's pretty nice. Just saw a marlin 57 on GunBroker. I don't know anything about them. Anyone here got any info?
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Marlin 57 rifle

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:26 pm

A Marlin 57 was my first firearm, a tube mag fed rifle from the Marlin Lever-matic series.
Lever action using a cam action that has a very short throw (-45 degrees). Action and barrel rideing a single walnut stock.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Yep - cam and roller system that resulted in very smooth cycling.

I believe the early ones were all steel with the later ones having aluminum receivers and some plastic parts.

Is the one you are looking at a Magnum or LR?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:29 pm

The Model 56, the magazine fed version, was my first rifle. True, the early ones had a steel receiver. Mine was a later one with aluminum.

The Levermatics were fun guns, but the construction quality was not on the level of the 39 series, not even close. They were more on the order of a Marlin Model 60 22 auto as far as the build quality in the action with lots of metal stampings. Unlike the 60, though, they did have walnut stocks, some quite nice.

I've toyed getting one out of nostalgia, but have passed on several, mostly because getting parts would be a real headache, now.
2 x