Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long ranger 308 not grouping

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Long ranger 308 not grouping

Post by plscoggin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 pm

I talked to Henry today & will be shipping it to them soon for them to look at... Hopefully they will find something wrong with the gun...
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:47 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us. Now that you've contacted HRA, they will take good care of you. Keep us posted.
plscoggin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:00 pm
I'm new here... I've just put in a request to send it back to Henry for them to look at it... Hopefully they can find something wrong... Otherwise, It'll be a pretty gun that sits in the gun safe & never used.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Welcome from the TV Oregon.

Henry customer support is pretty good at fixing things up or sending a replacement.
plscoggin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 pm
I talked to Henry today & will be shipping it to them soon for them to look at... Hopefully they will find something wrong with the gun...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

SD MEPPS
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by SD MEPPS » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I don't have a Long Ranger but I have two other .308 rifles. I found that the most accurate factory ammo I've shot is the Federal Trophy Copper 150 grain. I have used Hornady SST for several seasons and most of the more budget friendly rounds like core lokt and power points along the way. The first time I sighted in with the Trophy Copper I thought I missed the second shot. I then realized they were basically in the same hole at 100 yards. This is on a TC Venture with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope off of sandbags. And I don't consider myself a great shot at all.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:06 pm

plscoggin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:27 pm
still looking forward to an update .. :?:
0 x

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by plscoggin » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 pm

It was received at Henry. Still waiting to hear what they find
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:23 pm

plscoggin wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:13 pm
It was received at Henry. Still waiting to hear what they find

have you considered giving them a call to check on it :?:
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:58 pm

At 50 yards, it'll shoot 2 shots within 0.5" of each other... then the next shot will be 2-3 inches off in one direction, then the next will be 2-3 off in another direction.
Just wondering as to more detail on what you described.

How many rounds did you shoot and did you try any other ammo brands and bullet weights? Was this just one shooting session or several? Did you let anybody else shoot it to see if they had similar results? Did you try another scope? I once had a rifle start shooting erratically so I swapped the scope - it was right back on target and the scope went back to the Mfg. (Leupold - lifetime warranty)

My point is I am NOT suggesting nothing is wrong with the rifle but what you are describing is not necessarily the gun and are not untypical results for a first time out with a new rifle you are not entirely familiar with.

I do however understand your frustration as I am dealing with a similar situation with a new rifle (not a Henry) however my issue is somewhat different and possibly due to a design aspect of the rifle and not a problem with the rifle.
0 x

plscoggin
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by plscoggin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am

Reply to comment & update:
Yes, I've shot the gun several times. I bought it last year & have tried several times with several different types of ammo to sight it in... I've also tried two different scopes (vortex & leuopold). I've also had other people shoot it...

I recieved it back from Henry yesterday & honestly, I am kind of disappointed in their response. It came back with just a tag saying "repaired". I went logged on to see the customer service ticket & it just said "repaired"... I really don't know what they did or if they shot it... I'll call them tomorrow (after Thanksgiving) to see if I can get more information on what they repaired & what they looked at to resolve the issue...
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:29 am

the proof will be in the shooting .... looking forward to hearing how that goes
0 x