Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone running a trapline?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Cattle Driver
Australia

Anyone running a trapline?

Post by 220 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:29 am

I know it is trapping season in most states, anyone running a trapline,
what are you targeting?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Anyone running a trapline?

Post by Mags » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:54 pm

I'm not.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:54 pm

while growing up in the mountains of western NC I had a few friends who tried trapping ... I hunted buy never trapped .... I remember looking over a few hides but as best I recall, they put in some hard work but didn't make much money
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:29 pm

while growing up in the mountains of western NC I had a few friends who tried trapping ... I hunted buy never trapped ....
Kinda sorta similar to my own experience here in Oregon.
Back in the day knew a few that messed with trapping with varying degrees of success. Coyote was typically the target and a few actually sold some furs - to pay for trapping expenses!
One guy I knew was pretty serious about it and had a lot of traps and spent a lot of time with it. Kind of became his 'obsession' and about all he did for a while.
I always preferred to hunt by calling them in.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 am

Thanks for the replies, I will start doing a bit of summer predator control in 3-4 weeks targeting red foxes.
They really get stuck into the sheep at lambing time, I did a little bit before last lambing in July and really noticed a difference. Still lost a few lambs but 3 or 4 compared to 20+ previously. With the last lot of lambs I sold selling for over $200 a head I guess you could say it makes me money.
I can understand how it could become a obsession, there is something very satisfying about getting a animal to step exactly where you want it to.
I think red foxes are like most predators, you can really knock the numbers down but it doesnt take long for more to move into a area if there are none about. With lambing due to start March I will try start knocking the numbers down late December.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:52 am

good luck, hope you are able eradicate the population in your area
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:05 am

A trap line is one of the very few ways you can apply for a sidearm carry permit in Canada.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:12 am

interesting, thanks for the info
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:44 am

Good luck to you!
220 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 am
Thanks for the replies, I will start doing a bit of summer predator control in 3-4 weeks targeting red foxes.
They really get stuck into the sheep at lambing time, I did a little bit before last lambing in July and really noticed a difference. Still lost a few lambs but 3 or 4 compared to 20+ previously. With the last lot of lambs I sold selling for over $200 a head I guess you could say it makes me money.
I can understand how it could become a obsession, there is something very satisfying about getting a animal to step exactly where you want it to.
I think red foxes are like most predators, you can really knock the numbers down but it doesnt take long for more to move into a area if there are none about. With lambing due to start March I will try start knocking the numbers down late December.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PatientWolf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by PatientWolf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:26 am

I don’t trap anymore and haven’t in years. When I did, I lived in Northern IL and trapped beaver, raccoon, muskrat, mink and opossum. Never had any luck in my attempts to trap a fox. Checked the trap line before school and in the evening each day.

For me it was more often more efficient to throw the carcass in a bag and throw it in the freezer to turn in whole than it was to skin it and get dinged on the price if there was a nick in the hide.

More than once we heard my mom screaming because an opossum was frozen on the opposite side of the freezer as the bag it went into the freezer wearing. 😂😂😂
3 x