Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Good revolvers to carry

JayZuv
Cowhand
United States of America

Good revolvers to carry

Post by JayZuv » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Well, within the next week or two I should finally be receiving my Concealed Carry license (required to own handguns in NYS), and I am wondering if any of you carry revolvers, and if so, which ones do you suggest? I've been looking at the Kimber K6s, but I haven't shot a Kimber before and have found people to have mixed opinions on them. Thoughts/Suggestions?
0 x
H006 .41
H006 .44
Win. 94 30-30
Weatherby Mark V .300 Wby
Ruger .44 Carbine

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Good revolvers to carry

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:13 pm

we like the Smith J-frames .... with or without an exposed hammer
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:36 am

we like the Smith J-frames
Gotta like a 'J' frame.
I carry a 2" mod 60 for 'informal' neighborhood/local carry and a 4" Mod 66 for woods & other outdoor situations.
The Kimber seems to have good reviews but they are no better than a Smith and a lot more money.
Personally I am not a fan of 'hammerless' revolvers so for me the Kimber is not a consideration
Last edited by Mistered on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:39 am

Another vote for a J-frame, if you're looking only at proven reliable wheel guns. I have a Model 60-10 (.357/.38).

Some advise: Get a decent belt & holster to go with it, not some el-cheapo rig. Also, wheel guns don't usually lend themselves to IWB holsters, so most folks will use a OWB.

Personally, I prefer DiamondD holsters&belts https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/ , but there are many other fine rigs. Just get something that fits you and your gun well and comfortably, and is easy to draw and reholster - don't compromise over a few dollars. :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:43 am

Good grips are essential on a 'J' frame as well.
I have the Pachmyar Diamond Pro on mine and they turned it into a whole new gun.
I can shoot it very accurately and comfortably with them.
2 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:30 am

I have the smith model M&P 340. This scandium framed five shot 357 is a wolf in sheeps clothing, and is my summer carry gun. It weighs nothing, about 11.5 ounces. It is an easy carry. I nicknamed it, "The Beast."

Yeah, it weighs nothing. Loaded with full power 357 magnum ammo, it is unpleasant to shoot, painful even. But getting shot, stabbed, or beaten would be more unpleasant. I practice with 38 special, and 38 +p ammo, which isn't a problem, actually very pleasant to shoot... If you wanted to carry this with a Federal LSWCHP +p+ you wouldn't be bad off and the gun is a featherweight.

At the end of the session I always shoot a cylinder of 357, (cause a real man does that, :roll: ) to make sure I know it's putting them center mass. That stings, a lot. (My hand and wrist file an OSHA complaint.) Yup, it's a Beast, but easy to carry, and powerful enough to do the job if needed. Fully loaded, you could forget it's there, until you need it. And remember, in the heat of the emergency, you won't even notice the recoil. 8-)

6 rapid 340.jpg

The other GOOD thing about this model is you can find them used with just five rounds or less fired. :D I bought mine that way... The original owner bought it, shot five rounds, traded it on a .380. :oops: My guy at the gun shop said the owner said it hurt too much to shoot, and if he was going shoot standard 38s, he may as well just buy an auto. :P

It comes with a big dot tritium front sight. (Nice.). I added Smith and Wesson Rosewood grips for a larger grip surface. Helped a good bit, and looks good. I like hammerless. Give it a look.
I carry the little gun and two Bianchi Speed Strips with 6 357 rounds in each in an old cell phone belt case. No one gives them a second glance.

new smith and wesson round butt boot grips.jpg
7 340 big dot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am

Ruger LCR in 9mm:

https://ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html

Pros:
Very light
Can be equivalent to 38 Special +P
Can feed/eject individual rounds or use with 5 round moon clips (act as mini-speed loader/unloader)
Aftermarket larger grips

Cons:
Double action only
Not all metal
Poor rear sight
1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:45 am

I've owned and shot over a dozen Smith J frames over the years, vintage and new production alike, standard and PC versions, Airlight, Scandium and so forth. Always a solid choice, so not putting them down.

I've also owned several of the Kimbers and my opinion is that they are a better finished gun than the Smiths, externally and internally. That's a subjective call, of course, but I didn't go with the Kimbers for that reason. I spent the money on the Kimbers because of their excellent DA triggers. Have never handled one yet that didn't have an excellent trigger, but have handled some new production J frames with triggers that did not live up to the Smith rep.

Have yet to test a Kimber with a rough scratchy action, but have with some of the new Smiths.

More importantly, I spent the money on the Kimbers for their excellent fixed sights, sights that are large and very easy to see. These are a HUGE improvement over the traditional fixed gutter sights of the Smith J frames in terms of use. The Kimber rear sight is also drift adjustable for windage, unlike the simple gutter on the Smiths, and replaceable, as is the Kimber front sight. Since I carry a revolver in our dark woods, this is a very important feature. Standard fixed sight setups on the J frames and even their adjustable sight setups are all but worthless for my application.

K6s sights

As for being only available in DAO, not so. Last year Kimber added a DA/SA version, which I very much prefer for a woods carry gun for defense and protection against 4 legged predators. This is important enough to me that I traded my DAO Kimber for the new DA/SA version with the hammer. This version retains the same excellent DA pull, but now gives me an also excellent SA pull.

Also note you get 6 shots with the Kimber, not the 5 you get with the Smith J frames or Ruger SP

All the Kimbers I've shot (3) have been very accurate, both the 2" and 3" barrel versions. These were shot with my previous 3" barrel version, all in DA, of course, since that was a DAO version

Is it all gravy with the K6s? No, not when shooting full power 357 loads and, especially, not with those 180 grain bear loads. Recoil is stout, but 357 recoil will be stout in any similarly sized gun. An airlight or scandium J frame 357 will be worse, I promise you.

Not much available for aftermarket grips on the Kimber (especially for the new DA/SA version, because that version takes different grips than the DAO versions). If the Kimber fits your hand, well, like it does mine, no problem. If not, you might want to look at another gun.

Let me also add that the Kimber is a more modern design and a more robust design than the Smith J frame. No tiny frame screws to loose or break (have had it happen on a Smith J frame). In that respect, the Kimber has more in common with the Ruger SP, though it is still a lighter gun than the Ruger SP.

Lastly, yes, it's expensive, but it has features that make it the best choice for my use and that's why I carry it.
3 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Last year Kimber added a DA/SA version
I was unaware of this and a good idea on Kimber's part.

Another great gun is the Ruger SP-101. Essentially similar in size to a "J' frame Smith but with some nice variations.
The 4" version can be had with adjsutable sight that can be changed to suit your preferences.

I have always wanted a 3" SP-101 with adjustable sights but they are fixed only on the 3". I have passed on a couple 4" with adjsutable sights and wish I hadn't.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:34 pm

I think my step dad has the Ruger SP-101 in .38spl. He swears by it.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234