Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Frontier 22 LR at the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Henry Frontier 22 LR at the range

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am

I went shooting yesterday with my shooting buddy and we took several rifles each. I took two CZ Scouts that needed sighted in and my Henry Frontier and also my wife's CZ Grand Finale. My friend took his Ruger 10/22 Lite and his Tikka T1X. I shot both Scouts on at 50 with one having a 4X Nikon rim fire scope and the other one a 4X Leupold Compact. Then checked the Henry for zero at 50 with the 1-4X Leupold straight tube that I put on it after removing a rather large size 4X scope of another brand. I used targets with multiple circles made with the tracing the hole in an old CD disc. The Henry shot great and put all five shots in the circle with a great lot number of Federal Auto match ammo which I never did like the Federal ammo but the Henry was very good with it. The Henry actually out shot the high priced 10/22 Ruger with a $750 scope on it that goes up to 24X. My friend said that was an embarrassment to have a Henry lever gun with a low powered scope out shoot his much more expensive rifle and scope combination. I just grinned ear to ear. We then shot my wife's GF and his Tikka. They were running about dead even on hits on the spinner and target groups at 50 yds. So then I moved the spinner out to a 100 and we shot the GF and the Tikka. He made a few more hits on the 1/4" spinner with his Tikka with the 24X scope than I could with the Leupold Compact 3-9X. I have to say there is no comparison in looks and feel between the CZ Grand Finale and the some what homely looking Tikka T1X. That Tikka can shoot whether ugly or not. The Henry was on the table so I thought I may as well try it at a 100 yds. I hit the first five starting at the large 2" and made it to the 1" with a hit before missing the 3/4 ". Then I took a few more shots at the 3/4" and hit it twice for five shots. My friend was amazed at the Henry's performance. I now think I want to go more power on the scope for the Henry and see what I can do on the smaller spinners at a 100. Might get pretty interesting. One problem with the Henry from day one is it is a jammer if cycled while any thing but straight up and it is a PITA using my truck key to free it up to be able to chamber the next round. I won't send it back because I am afraid they may decide to send another gun to replace it and I can't let that happen because this was a gift from my wife and I have doubt the next one would shoot like this one after having two dud 001's in a row. Also the Henry has a horrible trigger. I may have to try to fix the trigger issues.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Henry Frontier 22 LR at the range

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:01 am

Bandit, I think some credit needs to go to the shooter on this one. Nicely done.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am

Nicely done report. Sounds like you both has a good time.
My Long Ranger behaves the same way. Rounds go nose up to the left slightly and get stuck just outside the chamber.
bandit1250 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am
... it is a jammer if cycled while any thing but straight up ...
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Chucksolo1
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Chucksolo1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 pm

My H001 Classic had an issue with two rounds that jammed the action. One was because I short stroked the lever and the second was when I thought I locked the magazine tube but I didn't. I have about 500 rounds through it now with no issues; that is with Remington Thunderbolt bulk pack. Try cycling the action fast and fluid in one motion. My Golden Boy has NEVER had an issue at all. Your Henry sounds like a great shooter. Mine will shooy a single ragged hole in the bullseye rested on a sand bag rest and equipped with a VERY CHEAP Walmart 4x scope at 50 yards. Just awesome. I however will not scope my Golden Boy and ruin the look of it!
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Each rifle can be persnickety differently. Short and soft strokes certainly can cause jams. With some the receiver tilted can cause jams regardless of the firm smoothness, speed of the stroke.

πŸ‘
"I however will not scope my Golden Boy and ruin the look of it!"
Chucksolo1 wrote: ↑
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 pm
My H001 Classic had an issue with two rounds that jammed the action. One was because I short stroked the lever and the second was when I thought I locked the magazine tube but I didn't. I have about 500 rounds through it now with no issues; that is with Remington Thunderbolt bulk pack. Try cycling the action fast and fluid in one motion. My Golden Boy has NEVER had an issue at all. Your Henry sounds like a great shooter. Mine will shooy a single ragged hole in the bullseye rested on a sand bag rest and equipped with a VERY CHEAP Walmart 4x scope at 50 yards. Just awesome. I however will not scope my Golden Boy and ruin the look of it!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:08 am

In my book, that is excellent shooting.
1 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW