Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help With Sight/Scope Options Please

MarvinTMartian
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Help With Sight/Scope Options Please

Post by MarvinTMartian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I just got my first lever action, a Henry All Weather in .30-30! I love this rifle!

Ready to start making it mine, and aside from a sling, I would like to upgrade the sights. Nothing wrong with the buckhorns, when I was 20. But at my, ahem, uh, mature age, I can’t see the rear.

I want to add a peep sight, but I would really like to have a rail mount with the peep sight and a section to mount a scope. Frankly, I want something like on the Marlin 1894 CSBL rifles. And ideally, the scope would be mounted with quick release rings so I can revert to the peep easily.

Is this doable? What brand or brands are available?

Thanks!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Help With Sight/Scope Options Please

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Im not sure its doable with both but as far as peep sights go most guys here are using the Skinner and a few have played with the Ranger Point. I myself like the red dots so when I have done away with irons red dots have gone on there.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GaHenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GaHenryFan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:54 pm

It's doable if you have a friend with a milling machine. There's nothing commercially available for Henry rifles that I'm aware of.

https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3113
0 x

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Focusing on the rear sight isn't necessary...its not even recommended.

The rear sight will always be blurry for us older gents... as long as you can focus on the front sight is all that matters.

I can't... if the barrel is shorter than about 24 inches I have to use a scope because the front sight is blurry.

Nothing at all wrong with upgrading sights, but the rear sight will still be blurry.
0 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Red dots can be great for some, but not so great for others...

If you have astigmatism (eye not perfectly round), what is supposed to be a tiny red dot will look something like a large clump of red grapes.

Astigmatism can be corrected with glasses, but it'll never be perfect either.
0 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Ridgerunner665 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Focusing on the rear sight isn't necessary...its not even recommended.

The rear sight will always be blurry for us older gents... as long as you can focus on the front sight is all that matters.

I can't... if the barrel is shorter than about 24 inches I have to use a scope because the front sight is blurry.

Nothing at all wrong with upgrading sights, but the rear sight will still be blurry.
This has been my finding as well. Try as I might with irons/peeps, they simply don't work for me. I may[probably will] swap the Weaver 1-3x20mm scope set-up from my BBB .357 to my BBS .45 Colt. Irons just don't help me at all!
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 pm

IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG (103.95 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
Hey Marvin! I am having trouble posting my discussion on this subject. I too, wanted the option of rail mounted optics, or peep sight.

I installed an 83B rail, Werner I believe. This made scope and red dot optics readily useable. QD attachment is handy.

To make it easily convertible to iron sights, skinner peep, I installed a Skinner Low Pro peep as the rearmost rail mounting screw.

It took some 'fitting', but was not difficult.

With the right scope rings, it was even useable looking under the scope through the rings.

I'm not sure if this helps, let me know if I can describe it better.

Jim
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 pm

I have the Henry .30-30 in brass. I bought this mount (63B) for it. Look into putting it with Cofisher's Skinner Low Pro peep implementation.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D2 ... UTF8&psc=1
MarvinTMartian wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm
I just got my first lever action, a Henry All Weather in .30-30! I love this rifle!

Ready to start making it mine, and aside from a sling, I would like to upgrade the sights. Nothing wrong with the buckhorns, when I was 20. But at my, ahem, uh, mature age, I can’t see the rear.

I want to add a peep sight, but I would really like to have a rail mount with the peep sight and a section to mount a scope. Frankly, I want something like on the Marlin 1894 CSBL rifles. And ideally, the scope would be mounted with quick release rings so I can revert to the peep easily.

Is this doable? What brand or brands are available?

Thanks!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Thanks Mags. Getting forgetful here. Lol
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:53 pm

I had my 'Welcome to Medicare' visit with my doctor earlier this week. His medical assistant told me 3 words to remember. Later I could only remember two. A day later I remembered all three. Ocean-Tractor-House. Never was good at taking tests under pressure.
Cofisher wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:31 pm
Thanks Mags. Getting forgetful here. Lol
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234