Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1911 vs. Texas LEO Handgun Qualification

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

1911 vs. Texas LEO Handgun Qualification

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 am

Hi all! In this week's installment I'm pitting "Ol' Slab Sides" against a course from the Lone Star State. I hope you enjoy it, and be sure to let me know your thoughts!

Howard

https://youtu.be/7MWy1Qf8ZQ8
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: 1911 vs. Texas LEO Handgun Qualification

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks Howard, that one seemed pretty basic compared to some, however, I always enjoy YOUR shooting!
Very well done, even on what you consider an off day.☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:35 am
Thanks Howard, that one seemed pretty basic compared to some, however, I always enjoy YOUR shooting!
Very well done, even on what you consider an off day.☺
Thank you!

Howard
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am

Howard, I've been following this series faithfully, but hadn't been able to comment very often. These are terrific. I love to see how you take all the different handguns and use them in these courses. I really find it hard to believe that reloading isn't stressed or tested in more of them.
I really enjoyed seeing the model 29 being used with the Skelton loads. Nicely done!
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:34 am

daytime dave wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:52 am
Howard, I've been following this series faithfully, but hadn't been able to comment very often. These are terrific. I love to see how you take all the different handguns and use them in these courses. I really find it hard to believe that reloading isn't stressed or tested in more of them.
I really enjoyed seeing the model 29 being used with the Skelton loads. Nicely done!
Thank you! My true goal is to demonstrate these courses and try to determine which one is the best (at least in my opinion). I think that process would become boring pretty quickly if I just used the same plastic pistol in every video. Using the different firearms adds some "fun factor" AND it gives me a reason to practice with some pistols that I might otherwise neglect!

Thanks for watching!
Howard
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Yes, the course is simple. Sometimes, simple can be good: KISS (Keep It Super Simple). It is hard to predict have someone will respond when shots are being fired at them. I agree, one should training for different scenarios. No one knows the future. So, the basics should probably be covered. I have not had to dodge bullets. So, I can't speak from experience. But, it was drilled in my head to train how we fight. When adrenaline kicks in, we seem to go for what we know. The simpler, the better. At least, that was my experience when faced with a fire control radar locked on a ship. Nonetheless, I say a score of 96% means that you got the basics down (even on a off day). Nice work.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 pm

When I was on active duty, on more than one occasion, I saw this phrase written somewhere in the classroom; no matter the subject.

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which you have been trained."

The phrase applied if it was firearms, defensive tactics, or CPR. After I left the Corps, I applied the phrase to other training situations as well.

During firearms week in the academy, I made the recruits write that phrase across the front of their range notebooks in bold black marker. Every morning we recited that phrase to start the day, and every afternoon, we repeated it together to end the day.

On the last day, after shooting for qualification, I would have them take out their standard tip red marker, and draw a thin line through the word "been." Now the phrase has a slightly different meaning as we read it together for the last time.

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way in which you have trained."

I remind the recruits that THEY now carry the burden of maintaining their skill sets.

There are open range days once a month, and the Department will provide 100 rounds of practice ammo every open range day for them to shoot. They are welcome to bring additional ammunition, and/or weapons to shoot. Either myself, or another instructor will be there to coach if requested, or they may shoot on their own.

In addition, they are encouraged to participate in the various local club matches to maintain their skills and the match pressure is known to lessen the stress they may experience during a crisis situation.

"In a crisis situation, you will react in the way that you have trained."

I also remind them, this applies to all the skills they have learned in the academy, and will learn during field training. The shame is how few took the time over the years to come to open range to practice, but then whined about low scores at semi annual requalifications.
(It was always the gun, the ammo, the new duty rig, the weather, lost my glasses, or the sun was in my eyes.). :cry:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:54 am

I was going to ask how many officers took advantage of that VERY generous training opportunity, but your last paragraph stated about what I sadly expected. Some things with Cops are universal.

Howard
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:24 am

Hrfunk wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:54 am
I was going to ask how many officers took advantage of that VERY generous training opportunity, but your last paragraph stated about what I sadly expected. Some things with Cops are universal.

Howard
When I joined the department, they had a semi annual qual, but the warmup consisted of firing the duty ammo, to burn it up, new duty ammo issued at the end of the range session. Once I was assigned as an additional firearms instructor and directed by the Chief to update the training, we no longer just burned the ammo. We fired the duty ammo plus an additional fifty rounds in prequal training. Shoot on the move, shooting from cover, move to cover, reload drills, etc. Of course you had those who whined, but more than half appreciated the effort to improve their training. Scores went up. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.