Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My next project

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

My next project

Post by roddy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:39 am

For a while now (and for some odd reason I can't explain), I have been craving something chambered specifically for .22 Short. I have several rifles marked S/L/LR, but neither the chamber, nor the twist rate are 'correct' for the .22 Short cartridge. I have looked at a couple of SA-22 'short only' models, but the $1000+ price tag was a little more than I can justify dropping at one time.

Last week, while making the rounds of the local shops, I found an SA-22 (in LR) on a consignment rack. That got me thinking, so I did a bit of homework, and called my Browning guy with some part numbers. It turns out that doing a LR to Short conversion is not only possible, but all things considered, not that expensive...$300 for all the parts required. The parts needed are: Barrel, Receiver, Breech Block, Cartridge Guide, and Inner Magazine Assembly.

I went back for another look at the used SA...the asking price was reasonable, but not exceptional, so I offered $100 less. That met the seller's bottom line, and I brought it home. Now I have a donor rifle. I'm in the process of tearing it down for a thorough cleaning, and will stop to take some pics once everything is cleaned up.
6 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: My next project

Post by roddy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Tear-down complete.
The only parts missing were the adjusting ring follower, and spring. About $4 in parts. Those parts, and the parts for the 'shorts only' conversion have been ordered. This appears to be a late (1969) Belgian rifle.

20191013_143729.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Appears to be quite a project.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 pm

looks like a considerable project .... thanks for taking us along, looking forward to your coming reports
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 pm

Ernie wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm
It looks more intimidating than it is. The stock will likely be the biggest challenge...you can't see it in the picture, but the finish on the butt stock is beginning to develop some cracks and will need to be dealt with. I've heard the Browning 'clear-coat' can be difficult to strip :roll: .
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm

Just curious, why such interest in a dedicated 22 short?
please forgive my ignorance...inquiring minds want to know.
thx Roddy.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 am

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:21 pm
Just curious, why such interest in a dedicated 22 short?
please forgive my ignorance...inquiring minds want to know.
thx Roddy.
I'm honestly not quite sure...maybe because I don't have anything at this time that is 'short only' (the grass is always greener...). I'm kind of curious to see if there is much difference between shooting a Short through an LR chamber (with a 1 in 16" twist), and a proper Short chamber with a slower twist rate. That, and I like to tinker/customize. It used to be cars, bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc, but since a shoulder injury a few years ago, I can't handle the heavy stuff like I used to. That's what brought me to guns and shooting.

One of the ideas floating around in my head for this one includes Cerakoating the barrel, receiver, and trigger guard a stainless grey, with an oil finish on the stock. We'll see...

Another caliber on my radar is the .17 HM2. For that one, I could do a barrel swap on my CZ 455 easily enough, but what I'd really like to find is a Browning BL-17.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:20 am

roddy wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 am
I'm honestly not quite sure...maybe because I don't have anything at this time that is 'short only' (the grass is always greener...). I'm kind of curious to see if there is much difference between shooting a Short through an LR chamber (with a 1 in 16" twist), and a proper Short chamber with a slower twist rate. That, and I like to tinker/customize. It used to be cars, bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc, but since a shoulder injury a few years ago, I can't handle the heavy stuff like I used to. That's what brought me to guns and shooting.
outstanding reason in my book .... years ago I strongly considered getting some formal training in gunsmithing .... didn't do so and now often wish I had
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks roddy, It all makes sense to me now. i DO know about physical limitations as well. :(
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 pm

roddy wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 pm
Ernie wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm
It looks more intimidating than it is. The stock will likely be the biggest challenge...you can't see it in the picture, but the finish on the butt stock is beginning to develop some cracks and will need to be dealt with. I've heard the Browning 'clear-coat' can be difficult to strip :roll: .
Wondered about that. I have one but have not considered trying to strip it. It appears to be more than one coat.
0 x