Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small Projects

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Small Projects

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:12 pm

Knocked out some small shop projects before tackling a second shot at cutting boards.

* First used some six inch pvc to make a work rack to fit on the bench for glue up and clamping of cutting boards. Have seen them used in many of the youtube vids... So I figured why not. Had to get creative in the assembly portion. ;)

* Next up was an angled rack for storage of the more valuable exotic wood in the shop. I have been worried about warping, and this idea has been pinging... Boom. Done.

* Lastly, more cleanup and organization. Never ending that.

If anyone wants to see pics or hear more about any of these small projects... :)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Small Projects

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:01 pm

I would like to see the pvc jig, I'm a visual type learner. So, yes, please show all pics of your small projects. Thank you for letting us see all of your wonderful projects.
Muddy waters
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:10 pm

MuddyWaters62 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:01 pm
I would like to see the pvc jig, I'm a visual type learner. So, yes, please show all pics of your small projects. Thank you for letting us see all of your wonderful projects.
Muddy waters
I'll get them up in the next day or so with an expanded narrative. ;)
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Thanks again BOM
Muddy
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I too will be interested to see. Thanks Jim!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am

As promised, pics and a more detailed narrative. First up, the PVC rack for glue up and clamping. ;)

Miss Tina had picked up the 6" pvc pipe for me and I set it aside until I had time to make use of it. I got that window yesterday and cut it in half, which would give me plenty of room to work with wide cutting boards or serving trays, or things I needed to glue at an angle. First step was to drill the holes to screw the pipe to a base to hold them steady. I have seen them with individual bases, or on single. I decided to space them about 12" apart and go with the single spaced base.

I drilled a top hole large enough to admit a screwdriver. The lower hole just needed to pass thru a screw. :) Then came the issue. I didn't have a bit long enough to go thru the pvc and hit the bottom of the pipe. :o What to do here. The pipe was too thick to drive a spike thru without cracking and I don't have a torch. (I thought of heating a rod and melting thru.) Then I saw the bag of rubber bands on the shelf. :P

I put a rubber band around the pipe and leveled it as best I could. NO bolt would pass thru, and it needn't be perfect alignment. I was just going to have to screw the dang thing down. I used the rubber band as a guide, turned the top hole to 6 o'clock on the base and used the band to find the alignment on the bottom. Boom, drill the screw hole.

01 mark the front.jpg
01 mark the front.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
02 rotate to the back.jpg
02 rotate to the back.jpg (112.46 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

Once all the holes were drilled, I aligned the pipes on the bases and squaring them up with the bases and the workbench, screwed them down. Worked like a champ.

03 screw down.jpg
03 screw down.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

This is only a mock up as the components for the next two cutting boards have NOT been properly prepared, but as you can see, you can slide the segments along the PVC to align, then slip clamps easily under the components of the cutting board and tighten. Then you can place clamps over the top and do the same while they are held perfectly level. You can also place cauls above and below and clamp those in place, then lift the complete assembly off and set aside moving to the next project, wiping away any glue and starting fresh. No need for paper or protection.

04 clamp down and use.jpg
04 clamp down and use.jpg (166.93 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
05 side view.jpg
05 side view.jpg (153.7 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

After the various woods are planed and jointed I will use this setup for real and get to test it in the glue up. I plan to rip the purple heart and maple from 3/4 to 3/8 as it's meant only as an accent. I feel it's too thick to serve in that capacity in this application. Thoughts?
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am

The wood rack.

I had been concerned for a while that some of the more valuable wood standing in the slot between the workbench and the cabinet may be at risk might be damaged by warping and the idea for a rack to protect it had been pinging in my head for a while. Miss Tina brought an easel frame I had made for her to use as a display when she took things to her craft shows and said she no longer needed it, so I disassembled that and made the rack I had in my head.

The rack is angled back at about 20 degrees and fully supports the wood on the bottom and back, and the woods support one another side to side. No chance to warp. ;)

The woods you see in the picture are all exotics that will call you big bucks at woodcraft. Cocobola, Purpleheart, Curly Cherry, Black Cherry, Australian Lacewood, etc. Last thing I wanted was for the wood to warp from leaning over too long. The rack will support the wood and keep it stable. The other woods not IN the rack are off cuts or woods I will use quickly, or woods cut recently and NOT planed or straight yet. :)
06 wood rack.jpg
06 wood rack.jpg (120.22 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
07 in use.jpg
07 in use.jpg (125.35 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
1 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:49 pm

VEEEERY EENTERESTIIING Marine!! Clever way of figuring how to drill the holes in the pvc. Thank you for taking the time and interest to help us not so talented. I also liked the background history of the friends tabletop.
Have a very good afternoon.
Muddy
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:31 pm

As always, good to read about your thought process and follow your projects progress. :P
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:15 am
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234