Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone like Hardwater fishing ???

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Anyone like Hardwater fishing ???

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Pat wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:10 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:23 pm
Nope. Tried it once. That was enough.
Anything cool and exciting happen ???? Or just didnt like it ??? Lol
It was a very long time ago. The only thing I remember was freezing my 123 off and not catching any fish.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 pm

I love fishing in winter...its the best time for catching big blue cats.

Catfishing... my wife and I spend a lot of time fishing... but when the water freezes we just stay home.

2 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Pat
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Pat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Ridgerunner665 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 pm
I love fishing in winter...its the best time for catching big blue cats.

Catfishing... my wife and I spend a lot of time fishing... but when the water freezes we just stay home.

Nice fish ....... guessing 25-30lbs ?????
0 x

Ridgerunner665
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ridgerunner665 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 am

38 pounds 8 ounces... she caught it this past Friday night.
1 x
Henry Big Boy steel carbine 41 Magnum

Pat
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Pat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:30 am

Ridgerunner665 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 am
38 pounds 8 ounces... she caught it this past Friday night.
Nice!!!!!! ..... back when i lived in Oklahoma we fished all winter for catfish. Many years ago me and my brother would jugline and trotline all winter long on Lake Texoma. That's when we caught the most and the biggest . Our biggest caught was over 107lb bluecat ....... should've turned it back , it was awful to eat lol . After that anything over 50# we turned back , we let quite a few 60,70, and a couple 80# go back . They were just to fatty and we had plenty of good eating 10-15# blues
2 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Should be back on hardwater in around 6weeks .... I'm ready , is anyone else ???? This picture still makes me laugh ,my yougest boy had no idea what his brother was up to and was pissed when he seen it lol IMG_20151115_161613827.jpg
I'm looking forward to it! I spear fish myself. It's sure fun, just like looking into an aquarium. Most of the time we angle for perch through the spear hole and when all of the perch scatter we know a northern is lurking around and it's time to get the spear ready! Great way to pass the time in the winter.
0 x

Pat
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Pat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Greyhawk wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm
Pat wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:06 pm
Should be back on hardwater in around 6weeks .... I'm ready , is anyone else ???? This picture still makes me laugh ,my yougest boy had no idea what his brother was up to and was pissed when he seen it lol IMG_20151115_161613827.jpg
I'm looking forward to it! I spear fish myself. It's sure fun, just like looking into an aquarium. Most of the time we angle for perch through the spear hole and when all of the perch scatter we know a northern is lurking around and it's time to get the spear ready! Great way to pass the time in the winter.
My boss at work tells me all kinds of storys about spearing pikes , sounds like a blast !!! Down here in the part of Alaska i live in , Fish and Game have posioned all the lakes and got rid of all the Northern Pike 🤬
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Pat, it sounded so ominous that I had to look it up to learn why Northern Pike have been strategically eliminated in Central-Southern Alaska. They are known to be a harmful invasive species.
"Alaska Department of Fish and Game" wrote: Generally, when pike are introduced to a shallow vegetated lake or a slow-moving weedy river in Southcentral Alaska, they eventually consume all of the juvenile salmon and trout. When the salmon and trout are gone, they start cannibalizing each other and eating invertebrates or other animals like ducklings, frogs, and rodents. In time, the large pike are harvested by anglers or die, and the remaining pike population often consists of "hammer-handles" — small pike that won't grow because there is no longer sufficient food to support substantial growth. Once the population is under "stress," their biological response is to mature at this smaller size and increase their reproduction. The end result is a lake full of stunted, little pike. This pattern has been repeated in Southcentral lakes. Typically it is these small pike that have the greatest impacts on rearing salmonids. This is because large pike tend to eat larger fish. Small pike tend to feed on salmon fry and smolt, and they feed more often than larger pike.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a ... pike.areas
Pat wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm
My boss at work tells me all kinds of storys about spearing pikes , sounds like a blast !!! Down here in the part of Alaska i live in , Fish and Game have posioned all the lakes and got rid of all the Northern Pike.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Pat
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Pat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:29 pm
Pat, it sounded so ominous that I had to look it up to learn why Northern Pike have been strategically eliminated in Central-Southern Alaska. They are known to be a harmful invasive species.
"Alaska Department of Fish and Game" wrote: Generally, when pike are introduced to a shallow vegetated lake or a slow-moving weedy river in Southcentral Alaska, they eventually consume all of the juvenile salmon and trout. When the salmon and trout are gone, they start cannibalizing each other and eating invertebrates or other animals like ducklings, frogs, and rodents. In time, the large pike are harvested by anglers or die, and the remaining pike population often consists of "hammer-handles" — small pike that won't grow because there is no longer sufficient food to support substantial growth. Once the population is under "stress," their biological response is to mature at this smaller size and increase their reproduction. The end result is a lake full of stunted, little pike. This pattern has been repeated in Southcentral lakes. Typically it is these small pike that have the greatest impacts on rearing salmonids. This is because large pike tend to eat larger fish. Small pike tend to feed on salmon fry and smolt, and they feed more often than larger pike.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a ... pike.areas
Pat wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:01 pm
My boss at work tells me all kinds of storys about spearing pikes , sounds like a blast !!! Down here in the part of Alaska i live in , Fish and Game have posioned all the lakes and got rid of all the Northern Pike.
Yeah , they eat any and everything lol
1 x