Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New 22 LR Garden Gun?

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: New 22 LR Garden Gun?

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:03 pm

There were a couple job situations working with animals I could have used a Garden Rifle.
Rats, pigeons and Coup de Grace for trapped cats .
Not that the boss would have thought it a good idea, me running around with a lever action at 19-20.

But in California now even pest control has to be lead free.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Another option for small varmints and pests is the Agulia Colobri .22 subsonic ammo.
I have used this stuff and its great.
Very accurate and pretty respectable MV - 420 in std. and 590 in the Super version and not much reduction at a 100 yards and not much more noise than the hammer falling.
The down side is being a solid projectile it will require a safe backstop but if that can be assured this stuff is far superior for small critters than the shotshells.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm

I bought some, too, thinking it would be perfect for backyard pests. The one time that I fired it was as a test, shooting from inside the house through a slightly opened sliding glass door at a pine board propped up against the railing at the end of my deck, about 18 feet away . It was very quiet, but I could see the bullet as it bounced off the board. It made a slight dent. I never tried it again. It could have been that that round was defective, so based on your report, I'll give them another try.
Mistered wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 pm
Another option for small varmints and pests is the Agulia Colobri .22 subsonic ammo.
I have used this stuff and its great.
Very accurate and pretty respectable MV - 420 in std. and 590 in the Super version and not much reduction at a 100 yards and not much more noise than the hammer falling.
The down side is being a solid projectile it will require a safe backstop but if that can be assured this stuff is far superior for small critters than the shotshells.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I had to go repeat YOUR test.
I fired from 18' at a piece of 5/16 OSB. The bullet bounced out but left a pretty clean dent nearly all the way through.
A 2nd shot at a piece of 1/4 paneling went clear through.
Again this is not high powered stuff but will take car of small rodents and the like.
The Super version of this stuff would no doubt be much better however.
0 x

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:22 am

It sounds like this would be a very neat toy. Too bad I don’t have a farm. Or a big garden. Neighbors would not be happy.
1 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:18 am

Hey, guys, be careful with the Agulia Colobri. It is known to produce squibs in long 22 rifle barrels. Happened to me. Had a squib with a Colibri in a CZ 452 Trainer with its 24" barrel. Others over on RFC have reported squibs, too. When shooting the Colibri in your Henry or other rifle, if something doesn't sound "right" or seems to be "off", check the bore of your rifle, immediately. That's easier to do with a bolt gun than a lever gun, but it's a must. You don't want to get one of those stuck in your barrel and then switch to standard loads.

For backyard work in a rifle, I prefer CCI Quiets. Higher velocity, so definitely louder, no doubt about it, but I can use them in a 22 rifle and not have to worry so much about a squib.

As for smoothbore 22s being anything new, they've been around nearly as long as there have been 22 rifles. A lot of the very old collectible 22 rifles were sometimes offered in a smoothbore version and those are all the more collectible. By offering a smoothbore edition, Henry is following in a very old and established tradition in 22 rifles. Good for them.
2 x