Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

And this one I do shoot, no regrets

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

And this one I do shoot, no regrets

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Here's the last of the new, unfired Old Model Ruger single actions we purchased (financed by selling off some other guns). This OM Blackhawk is kind of an odd duck in the single action world, given that win it is chambered in 30 Carbine, a rifle round. Back in the late 60s, Bill Ruger thought it would be great to chamber a Blackhawk in the 30 Carbine because ammo was so plentiful and cheap. Should make a fun and unique single action to shoot.

It's also odd in that it's a Blackhawk with a long 7 1/2" barrel, a length usually reserved for the 44 mag Super Blackhawk, the idea being to better handle shooting a rifle cartridge for the sake of burning more powder. No doubt about it, this is one big, heavy Blackhawk.

In doing research on this unusual Blackhawk (still in production, by the way), I encountered a lot of negative comments by the "experts" who decried the idea of shooting a rifle cartridge in a single action. I also found it interesting that Ruger collector's have shied away from it, possibly for the same reason. On the other hand, I was floored by all the owners that said, yeah, maybe not too practical, but we love it and no way would we sell it. It's just too darn much fun to shoot.

And fun it is ... and loud ... lots of bark. Recoil, though? What recoil? Yup, exciting, but oh so sweet to shoot. And, it's accurate.

Here's my first shot, ever, out of a gun that has been sitting, unfired, since 1973, the last year for the three screw Old Model Blackhawks. A little high. Adjusted down a few clicks, put 5 in the black and to make it an even six, loaded one more and put it with the rest. (I never sight in a revolver off a rest, since I never shoot a revolver off a rest.) Great start for this classic Ruger SA.

50 yards? Why not. Didn't want to re-adjust the sights, so had to do a little trial and error on the hold, but once I had it down, managed six in the black. Can't ask for more than that.

Yup, this one I do shoot. No regrets ... not a one.
13 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: And this one I do shoot, no regrets

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Real nice revolver and shooting! 50 yds in the black superb!
I can't hit a 4x4 sheet of plywood at 50 yds.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:11 pm

nice, first time I've heard of on in 30 cal .... kudos for being able to adjust your sight based on firing a single, off hand round .... to me that's impressive
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Beautiful and impressive NCG. Very interesting post!!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 pm

You handled that odd duck perfectly! And you said it's "big and heavy." Current production NM (#0505) BH on Ruger website shows weight at 2.88 lbs. Is your 1970s revolver similar weight, or heavier yet? Also I know it doesn't make that much difference, since you're always on target. Curious to find out, what size are the ones you used?

Glad it's an accurate shooter, and good to know it's being shot by a sharp-shooter, too!
No regrets is a 8-) summary. I know you'll continue to enjoy it. Have much fun. :D

PT7

P.S. What does Bill think about this new OM?
0 x

~Пока~

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Very cool revolver and very good shooting! I have heard of these and only issue other than the blast is sometimes the brass might want to stick
in the chamber. Great back up gun for a M1 Carbine??
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:26 pm

In doing research on this unusual Blackhawk (still in production, by the way), I encountered a lot of negative comments by the "experts" who decried the idea of shooting a rifle cartridge in a single action.
This was due to the fairly high pressure the original .30 Carbine ammo was loaded to. I guess some thought it could be problematic in the gun but never has been.
Well while technically a rifle round it has more in common with handgun ammo and reloading really gives the .30 carbine versatility and the Blackhawk chambered in it has always had a dedicated following.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Nice NCG and I have always wondered about getting one of those but I just never did pull the trigger on one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:10 pm

Love the long barrel and great shooting at 50 yds. Impressive.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:11 pm