Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anschutz Exemplar

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Anschutz Exemplar

Post by dddrees » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 pm

I first came across one at a gun show a little over a year ago. I was kind of curious as to what it was and it seemed a bit different than most other handguns I had seen but I didn't want to get it without first having a better idea exactly what it was and what they were actually going for. Heck, the guy selling it almost forgot what it was called. I was a bit disappointed to say the least that they no longer make them but it isn't the first gun I wanted bad enough to buy an older gun. Although I like new things for various reasons to include warranties I've found going old when it comes to guns can be extremely rewarding.

It took awhile and there were times I wish I just would have purchased the one I saw. Anyway after a few unsuccessful bids on gunbroker I finally got what I think was a pretty good one. I haven't yet taken it to the range as I just picked it up yesterday but plan to do so soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Anschutz Exemplar

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm

NCG on a recent post mentioned and showed a pic of that very same gun. ( sorry, I can't remember the post title )
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Enjoy. Welcome to the world of specialty pistols. For sure, let us know how it shoots for you.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:27 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 pm
Enjoy. Welcome to the world of specialty pistols. For sure, let us know how it shoots for you.
Thank you.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:17 am

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm
NCG on a recent post mentioned and showed a pic of that very same gun. ( sorry, I can't remember the post title )

Specialty Pistol Shooting.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7306

Great thread and a very interesting read. To be honest I really had no idea of the purpose or history of this pistol until seeing NCGs thread, However for some reason something was just appealing to me about this pistol.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 am

Yeah, there have been some interesting posts on these specialty pistols. The high accuracy of your gun is pretty amazing from NCG's description of how it shoots. And the positioning of the left-sided bolt to allow the shooter to maintain the exact same shooting grip shot-after-shot. I'll be interested to hear what you think of handling that bolt when you try it out.

The appearance of your Exemplar, DDD, is quite cool 8-) . What is the light material on the pistol complimenting the wood? At first glance, a little unusual color combo. But as a person "studies" it, looks better and better. Does it have a somewhat rough texture to provide a surer grip? Looks to be. How much does it weigh? Light or heavy to you?

Expect to hear some neat things after your range visits. Enjoy, and hope it's fun to shoot.
0 x

~Пока~

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:00 am

PT7 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 am
Yeah, there have been some interesting posts on these specialty pistols. The high accuracy of your gun is pretty amazing from NCG's description of how it shoots. And the positioning of the left-sided bolt to allow the shooter to maintain the exact same shooting grip shot-after-shot. I'll be interested to hear what you think of handling that bolt when you try it out.

The appearance of your Exemplar, DDD, is quite cool 8-) . What is the light material on the pistol complimenting the wood? At first glance, a little unusual color combo. But as a person "studies" it, looks better and better. Does it have a somewhat rough texture to provide a surer grip? Looks to be. How much does it weigh? Light or heavy to you?

Expect to hear some neat things after your range visits. Enjoy, and hope it's fun to shoot.
Thank you sir.

If the results are anything like the experience I've had to this point with my Freedom Arms 97 it's going to be very enjoyable. Not that I'm that good but it's still much easier to do better than what I am used to with most others I own. A real joy to shoot. Yes, it's some kind of textured material not unlike what I have seen on some of the other Anschutz or CZ rifles to maintain or achieve a better grip.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 am

Be careful not to lose those sights or parts for them should you decide to go scope or red dot. These parts are very difficult to replace and will cost you, dearly, if you lose them. Especially watch that front sight hood. Comes off very easily when removing the gun from a soft case.

That two stage trigger with its long first stage take-up is a joy to use. That long take-up allows you to touch that 8 ounce trigger without setting it off accidentally. It's there for that very reason. Don't try to remove it.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:13 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 am
Be careful not to lose those sights or parts for them should you decide to go scope or red dot. These parts are very difficult to replace and will cost you, dearly, if you lose them. Especially watch that front sight hood. Comes off very easily when removing the gun from a soft case.

That two stage trigger with its long first stage take-up is a joy to use. That long take-up allows you to touch that 8 ounce trigger without setting it off accidentally. It's there for that very reason. Don't try to remove it.
Heck, even the magazines aren't extremely easy to find. I did find some and it's great that they are the same ones that go with my rifle. I imagine the hood goes back on as easily as it comes off??

Do you remove the bolt to clean the pistol? I know I'm able to do so with my rifles, but have yet to try this on this pistol.

Very helpful, thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Removing the bolt is no prob. Just use the bolt release lever on the receiver.
0 x