Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Need bullets? try a car battery!

All things reloading here
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Need bullets? try a car battery!

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 pm

The son of some long time family friends of ours is on a year long mission trip which includes spending the summer in Nepal. One of his first experiences in the village where he is serving was helping the villagers handload ammunition to deal with some varmints which were ruining their crops. The only hurdle was finding lead for bullets. No problem! Jake said they found plenty of lead by breaking open old car batteries and using the lead out of them!
So, if you run out of bullets this summer you might just wanna jerk the battery out of your spouses car! :lol:

DISCLAIMER: this is probably not the best idea.. If the battery acid don't get you, your spouse probably will!
0 x

krunchnik
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Need bullets? try a car battery!

Post by krunchnik » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Isn't the lead from batteries pretty soft?
0 x
THE CROW

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 pm

krunchnik wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:17 pm
I don't know...but if that's all you got....I guess you got to make do
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 pm

I am thinking if it comes down to this (scavenging lead from car batteries to make bullets) hardness wouldn't be an issue.
Can't the 'villagers' get conventional bullets from a manufacturer?
If not do they have casting equipment? Ya know, molds, lead pots, a sizing and lubing system?
If this were the case I'd try to find another source for lead other than car batteries - which are nasty to deal with - AND how many cars are there in Nepal to provide batteries for lead?
So how about powder and primers for availability? What are they doing for this and what are they using for guns, as well as reloading equipment?
Kinda makes me wonder - as an experienced reloader and former bullet caster...
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 am

Mistered wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:54 pm
I am thinking if it comes down to this (scavenging lead from car batteries to make bullets) hardness wouldn't be an issue.
Can't the 'villagers' get conventional bullets from a manufacturer?
If not do they have casting equipment? Ya know, molds, lead pots, a sizing and lubing system?
If this were the case I'd try to find another source for lead other than car batteries - which are nasty to deal with - AND how many cars are there in Nepal to provide batteries for lead?
So how about powder and primers for availability? What are they doing for this and what are they using for guns, as well as reloading equipment?
Kinda makes me wonder - as an experienced reloader and former bullet caster...
Yeah.. there's a lot to wonder about! His dad was just telling me about it so I don't have all the details.
0 x

Larry in OK
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Larry in OK » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 pm

OLD car batteries aren't much of an issue. Modern batteries can have some serious bad stuff in there and are not really safe or suitable for scavenging for casting lead.
1 x