Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Scope Swaps

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Scope Swaps

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Well, I got to chatting with a guy on another forum and while doing so the question of whether a Weaver base will fit on a Picatinny rail came up so I had to go pull the scope off my Handi-Rifle (with Weaver Bases) and try it on my PCC - and it works perfectly! Basically a Picatinny rail is an improvement of the Weaver style in that it has more grooves for better fore and aft adjustment.
So the first pic is the scope off the Handi-Rifle and I got to thinking I might go shoot it to see just how accurate the PCC really is but I thought the scope looks kind of big on it - so then I remembered I had an old Bushnell 40 MM on an old .22 that is really clear and so I swapped it out - looks a little better as it is not so 'bulky'.
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG (157.13 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG (155.88 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Scope Swaps

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 pm

good info .... thanks for documenting it
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:34 pm

Well, I just got back from giving it a try with LESS than stellar results!
Rested the PCC and touched off. OK about 4" high and and about 1.5" to the right.
Made scope corrections and fired again with the round only moving to the left slightly and elevation about the same so I adjusted elevation down to what was a little more than what was DOUBLE according to the 1/4" click @ 100 yard standard.
Next shot elevation good but about 1.5" to the left. Well, long story short but the remaining 20 or so rounds were all over the paper with no consistency. I am going to blame the scope as it is pretty old and did not seem to adjust properly AND I can hold 1.5" with its stock sights at 50 yards.
I am going to slap on a known, good scope and try this again and hopefully get better results or just get a new 1-4X for it.
There is simply no other reason(s) for the inconsistency I experienced.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. You're right about trying a different scope. Been there, many times, trying to get more use out of an old scope. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

One thing to remember on picatinny versus weaver rails is that the picatinny has ever so slightly wider slots. This means that weaver ring mounts will always fit a picatinny base/rail, but the fit can be just a touch loose. Not a big deal, just be sure to properly tighten. Have done it many times.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:40 pm

One thing to remember on picatinny versus weaver rails is that the picatinny has ever so slightly wider slots.
Yep - I noticed this - a little fore and aft movement when loose but with the scope on, rings and bases tightened it shouldn't be an issue.

Yea I can't help to think the scope is the problem as just Friday I shot Wingnut's Long Ranger and BBS (both with scopes) and did well.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Just FYI- When mounting rings on the picatinny or Weaver base/rail, ensure the whosever rings are seated to the front of their respective slot. Its a very repeatable spot and controls for any possible recoil movement.

Good luck!
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:07 pm

When mounting rings on the picatinny or Weaver base, ensure the whosever rings are seated to the front of their respective slot.
Got it! I already did this actually and for now this is all 'experimental'.
I think I need to simply find a good 1-4X scope with the proper mounts and I'll be good!
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Well, more poor results.
I swapped the scope on the PCC with a Leupold to try it again and got similar results. After zeroing the scope I had a couple 'reasonable' shots and then no consistency and shots all over the paper - and this is well rested on a bench.
Ok so I pick up my Henry BBB .357 and, after having to re-zero it due to a front sight swap I shoot the attached six shot group at 50 yards with 'open irons' (Receiver peep W/blade front) .
I don't get it. I have NEVER had this much of a problem shooting a rifle with a scope - the wild card is I shoot the PCC very well with the stock sights - even getting a couple 1.5" rested groups at 50 yards.
Any thoughts or ideas as to a reason for this ?
I am very reluctant to buy a new 1-4 X scope for it now - which is what I really want to do.
IMG_1540.JPG
IMG_1540.JPG (54.44 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Sherlock is credited with saying that "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." .... as a play on words, it sounds like you've eliminated the causes to the point where about all that's left is something with the mounting of the scopes .. :?:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:34 pm

One other possibility is parallax. Leupold rifle scopes are factory focused to be parallax free at 150 yards and you are shooting at 50 yards. Unless you place your eye in the exact same spot behind the scope for every shot, you will get some POI shifts due to parallax. Next time at the range, rest the gun on the bag and line up the crosshair on a small bullseye or dot at 25 yards and 50 yards. Make sure the gun doesn't move. Then move your head left and right and see if the crosshair drifts off the center of the bull to the right and left, too. If so, you are getting some error due to parallax. Not saying this is the culprit, but it may be contributing to the problem.

Red dots are almost universally parallax set for 50 yards, so that's one way to eliminate the parallax issue. (Contrary to what some claim, red dots are not parallax free at all ranges.)
1 x