Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My Trio

Henry's new single shots
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

My Trio

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:12 am

I now have the good fortune of owning three Savage BVSS-S single shot rifles. My favorite actions are big solid bottom single shots. Not a block added to make a single shot but built as a single shot. I have owned about ten of these in my varmint and target shooting years. They have always been at the top of my rifles in accuracy even being up against Remington 40-X, Tikka Continental Varmints, Sako Varmint factory rifles on the A1 small actions and to many Remington 700 Varmint models to even take a guess. These rifles in the last 15-20 years have earned a very high regard in accuracy against rifles that get a lot of their hyped up bragging from cosmetics and not accuracy results. I sold a Swift 112 single shot Savage to a friend and gave him some ammo with it already loaded for that rifle. Within a couple weeks of buying it he went to a 300 yd. match where he was up against custom rifles and Sako TRG sniper rifles and other factory long range rifles and he won all of the three matches held,with the lowly Savage by some folks opinion, and sent quite a few shooters home with their tail between their legs. He then told guys I had another one and they called wanting to buy it. I told them it wasn't for sale as I had kept the best one for myself. ;) :lol: In all honestly they were equal in accuracy and on any given day it could have went either way. The one I kept was less load sensitive. Both were 220 Swifts. Anyone who has never fired one of these Savages for accuracy is missing out on what was a well kept secret that is a secret no longer. My Remington's and the other brands I have owned may look better but not one of them performed on the range or in the prairie dog towns any where near the Savage rifles. That is coming from a die hard Remington 700 owner since the late 60's that were some great shooters but were not as good as my big heavy single shot Savages. My trio of favorites. LT 223 Rem. with it's new over size bolt handle just added. C and RT the mighty 220 Swifts. I consider the 220 Swift as the premier varmint cartridge even though it dates back to 1935.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: My Trio

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:41 am

beautiful pictures and grate info .... I've never owned a Savage rifle so I have no personal experience with them .... what have you found to be the barrel life of them in calibers like a 220
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: My Trio

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:56 am

I own one now and have owned others in the past. People tend to overlook Savage for Remington Ruger and other brands. Had a 112 in 223 that wasnt a single shot but with reloads the accuracy was amazing at 1/2inch and under 5 shot groups. I now own a Savage Bearclaw in 338 and the accuracy of it is so good with Barnes TTSX factory ammo its not even worth it to me to reload for it. Nice rifles bandit and I to own a older Remington 700 BDL in 243 that has a varmit barrel and tuned trigger. It shoots very well but Id buy a new Savage before I would even consider a new Remington.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55