Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Delay to full retirement or take s.s. at 62?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Delay to full retirement or take s.s. at 62?

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm

I know maybe there is no right answer. I am eligible , (turning 62 in I October)...I don't have to take it then to get by ok ...I realize I gain around 6% each year I hold off to full retirement at 66.5 yrs. Also, I realize I will be ~78 before the "total pile" collected will be bigger if I wait till full retirement....I'm not interested in stirring the waters, and having debated about what is best......there are many right answers, depending on individuals needs ... I was just curious if most here took at 62 or waited. And, if you were happy with the choice you made .that is,.would you do the same thing again? Thanks... currently I'm thinking I will wait a year or two or three ..(nice feeling to know once I hit 62 I'm only a month or two or three from another paycheck if I feel the need) .
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Delay to full retirement or take s.s. at 62?

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:52 pm

I took my SS retirement at 62 and I'm glad I did. Like you say, everyone's situation will be different; but it was a good decision for me. My wife died of cancer only five years later, so I had precious time with her while we were both healthy and I am grateful that I was well enough to care for her while she tolerated the treatments and then as she lived until she didn't.

Now that she's gone, our SS income has been cut in half, but I'm lucky that we (she) prepared our finances well enough for me to manage on my own (so far). Things could change without notice, though; so please explore all of the financial (and emotional) possibilities when making this decision. For example, I have very severe back pain while I'm standing and walking, so I can't maintain the extensive landscaping we developed over the years or perform even simple housework by myself. As a result, I need to pay for those services now.

There's lots to consider. Take your time and carefully evaluate your current and potential situation(s); then if you can do it -- I say, do it. Enjoy the time you have left with your loved ones and make the days matter.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 pm

I went through the same thought process .... a factor you didn't mention is, do you plan to work at a different job after you retire .... if so, you need to make sure you understand how that will impact your Social Security .... it took 30 years of service for me to retire from working for NC's Prison System .... I worked 30.02 years, retired, and started drawing a full state that retirement at age 56 .... I then started working in the RV industry and did so until my Full Retirement age of 65 and a few months .... I've been fully retired since age 65 and started drawing full Social Security ... I am now 72 .... in looking back, I don't think I'd change anything
0 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I retired at 56 a buy out and took my SS at 62. No regrets the wife and i have had a good retirement and still enjoy all the benefits.
Fortunately we are both in good health and s\don’t have any grave issues. We are both looking forward to a long life God willing.
My advice take when you can and enjoy everyday.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I retired early at 65 y.o., so didn't short myself too much on the resultant benefit. I worked toward doing it early to take care of my wife, who was struggling with PD. Very glad I did that. She needed much help, and it worked out extremely well to be there for her.

During the five years from retirement date until she died, my focus on finances centered around meeting her medical needs. This also worked out. Interestingly, I had some financial/budget issues to square away after she was gone, but have mostly got that under control now.

The advice already given is all good, solid stuff. Yup, much to think about and plan for. If done thoughtfully and carefully, it can work fine --- barring the unforeseen happenings. As far as retiring early, it's a good thing. Would go that way if I had to do it all over.

My answer to your question is to go for 62.
Best to you.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:32 pm

I will be 67 in a couple weeks. I waited and took mine at 66. But Im also still working. My wife is retired. Right now we are both in good health. Im working because they dont want me to quit and I have alot of respect for the family I work for. Im not sure when I will quit. But for now Im happy with my decisions and hopefully I can keep building my retirement account a while longer.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 pm

I retired at 62, will be 65 in December. Don't regret it for a second. Made sure I considered all financial aspects. Concluded that I wanted to enjoy what life would allow me physically, before I got to the point that my body would not allow much.
My accountant wife told me that my income would not notice any difference until 70. Even then I would be ok. I am now on SS and fortunately have a pension income to boot.
I say, just think it out, but personally, I also would go ahead and enjoy life as best you can!!
Life seems to go by a LOT faster the older we get!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

RudyN
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by RudyN » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:18 pm

I retired at 62 and have my State Pension and also took Social Security at that time. I will be retired 14 years in October and am glad I took S.S. at he early age.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Lots of good advice already provided, but research your own circumstances.
I retired from full time employment at 62.5. I plan on taking SS at my FRA of 66. My wife will also get 1/2 of what I get. So total SS benefit will be 1.5.
Until then I enjoy part time contract work without SS benefit penalty (if I were also taking SS now, before my FRA).
After FRA, I can work all I want to without SS benefit penalty (except for IRS taxes on SS).
My dad died at 85. SS actuary table show crossover in total SS benefit payout around age 85 (regardless of when you start SS payout). So doesn't make sense for me to wait longer than my FRA.

If you or your spouse's health is questionable, might be good idea to research taking SS early. Buddy of mine is doing so. His family history is not all that great and he has had some health issues that are minor today but are a lead up to more serious future health issues (inline per said family history).
Ozarkwoodswalker wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:12 pm
Last edited by Mags on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:43 am

Here's the goal: Live as well as you can for as long as you can. If you're financial situation supports that goal then retire early.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.