Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Planning a Gathering In/Around KC in August

Members sometimes like to get together and meet one another in person. This forum topic is for those interested in getting together with other forum members. Remember! The internet is a large place. If you are not comfortable giving out details of your location or other information on the open internet, DON'T.
If you want to get together, use this to meet others who want to.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Planning a Gathering In/Around KC in August

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 pm

that's good to hear ..... over the years I've really enjoyed Jay Henges .... the last time I spoke with some fellows who work there they said the mounts that hold the deflectors in place failed .... the manufacture says they were installed wrong .... the installers say the mounts were defective .... neither was willing to pay for the repairs .... no money in the state budget to cover it .... don't know it that's accurate or not
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:49 pm

With your change of plans, Jim, I double-checked the LC range hours. They are closed on Tuesdays:

MDC Lake City Range Hours
May 2 - September 16
Wednesday through Sunday
Noon to 6:00 p.m.

Glad I remembered to let you know that.

Bob
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 am

sure appreciate that .... we will still get there on Tuesday, doing so will allow us to get with the program first thing Wednesday morning .... we may ride around a bit to try and figure out the territory .... we might try to find a BBQ place, I've heard rumors that there should be some OK ones in the area .... ;)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 am

Rumors are true about KC BBQ places. Bring extra napkins along! ;)

I have one BBQ place that would be an easy "find," if your travel brings you via I-29 south into KC. It is visible from I-29, and just a couple of blocks in/out to get back to your travel road.

Restaurant & Menu
https://www.smokehousebbq.com/location-zonarosa-.html

Location is in a neat shopping center called Zona Rosa
https://www.zonarosa.com/

I had lunch earlier this week at the Smokehouse. Good food, pleasant restaurant. BTW, a very large parking area is behind the string of shops on the main drag. Pretty sure it would be easy access and parking for your rig.

And if you google KC BBQ restaurants, they are all over the map. Lots of comments from BBQ lovers, and lots of choices. This one is just my suggestion to get you started. :lol:
PT7

JEBar wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 am
sure appreciate that .... we will still get there on Tuesday, doing so will allow us to get with the program first thing Wednesday morning .... we may ride around a bit to try and figure out the territory .... we might try to find a BBQ place, I've heard rumors that there should be some OK ones in the area .... ;)
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:20 am

THANK YOU ... info really appreciated
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:08 pm

One thing you really don't have to search hard for is good BBQ in KC. There are LOTS of places and they're 99% all good. Bad BBQ doesn't last in this town.

Based on where you're weighing anchor, there's another good local place in Blue Springs, on the east side of town, called Zarda BBQ. It's on Hiway 7 (same main drag you'll take to get to the Lake City range).

I'll shoot you some other ideas via PM.

https://zarda.com/
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 pm

do most of the places offer pork or beef BBQ .... :?:
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:30 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 pm
do most of the places offer pork or beef BBQ .... :?:
Both, plus chicken, ham, turkey and sausage. KC has become known as kind of a "burnt ends" town, which is the cubed up part of a brisket that's become too skinny to yield a decent slice (hence, the "end" in "burnt end").

Jack Stack is another local chain that does great work. Fantastic menu (very broad), great service and great space.

There's one not too far from where you'll be, in Lee's Summit, MO.

https://www.jackstackbbq.com/
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:04 pm

back home in eastern NC, BBQ = pork .... you can find restaurants serving briskets but there aren't a great many of them .... BBQ'ed chicken is usually reserved for fund raisers
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:35 pm

bumping back up ...

question ====> how many plan to bring a shotgun to the KC gathering .... I'll have one and hope to shoot some trap on Wed and/or Thurs :?:
0 x