Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Daily plinking, NCG style

Did you just do some plinking today? Tell us about it.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Daily plinking, NCG style

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:34 am

I've been out doing more plinking with the new BL-22, comparing it to some very different guns, but mostly to get to know the BL-22 better.

Yesterday, I was shooting the Browning alongside a very different gun in the FWB Sport springer in 177. For those not familiar with the FWB Sport, it has a very sharp, snappy springer recoil. It can be very intimidating to someone not used to shooting springers. Being an FWB (Feinwerkbau, made in Germany), though, it is awesomely accurate. It's also pretty loud, probably our loudest air gun, so I wanted to compare it side by side with the BL-22. FYI, I would not recommend the FWB for a backyard air gun if neighbors are sensitive to shooting. Shots sound like hitting a big bass drum. Very pronounced "thunk"!

The BL-22 shooting CB Shorts could hardly be more different. Definitely a higher pitched crack, though I would say still quieter when shooting CB Shorts than the FWB.

I'm really enjoying the way the little Browning just flies to my shoulder for some quick point shooting. Went 10 for 10 using the deck railing for resting my forearms. Maybe I was channeling Annie or something. She would have loved this one, given she was a small gal.
3 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Daily plinking, NCG style

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:52 am

That Browning is a classic looking lever and the scope is a good match. I was shooting pellets and BB’s when I first got here but quickly switched to rimfire.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:05 pm

I really like the air rifle. That is a great brand to have. Some day I might have one but not right now. The Browning is very nice even though I never bought one. The hard trigger pull was one reason and I admit that I am a pistol grip lever action guy. I have a bad wrist and the straight stock is not comfortable for me if I shoot one very long. When I sold off most of my 39 A Marlins the first to go were the Mounties. Not hard to find folks looking for Marlins.
NCG picks up some quality rifles and handguns.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:50 pm

I still shoot mostly air guns in our backyard, but wanted to expand my shooting to include rimfires using CB Shorts. That's the idea behind the Browning.

Bandit, the FWB Sport has now been discontinued, though there are still some new ones for sale. The Sport was FWB's attempt to bring back a springer, since FWB early on switched over to PCP, exclusively. FWB now sits at the top of the Olympic class competition PCP game, along with a couple of other brands. Back in the day, though, they made some wonderful springers. Very expensive guns, no matter what the kind, though.

I much prefer pistol grip on all my guns for the sake of handling and control, but especially on hard kicking rifles for the sake of handling recoil. Right now, I'm trying to find a Ruger No. 1 butt stock for my No. 3 rifle to replace the No. 3 straight grip.

Yeah, JM Marlins are selling fast and at some crazy prices. Wish I still had some to sell.
3 x