Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lever Gap

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Lever Gap

Post by SAGA22 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 pm

On both of my Henry Golden Boy 22 rifles the lever when fully closed is about 1/4 inch from the stock. Is there a reason for this gap or is it just poor craftsmanship? I like to display a gun every day and when I see the Henry I feel like I need to go over and snap the lever into place.
I searched but could not find this discussed here but I feel like someone must have asked the question previously. Maybe this is just a feature of the Henry rifle that you have to learn to live with.
Thanks for any input.

Doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Lever Gap

Post by leverjc » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 pm

I have the same problem on my Frontier only the gap on my Frontier is not even. From all the pics I have seen it seems to be a common thing. I can bend it to where the gap is even but not to where it will fit close to the stock. When I have more time I am going to bend it even then cut and weld a small piece to the loop to fit the stock. I don't like the looks of the gap but more that that it makes it almost impossible for me to have a proper grip. I can not see any reason for this except that is the way it is designed. When the bolt is removed the lever fits well, go figure. You have some nice wood on that rifle.
1 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you for the reply leverjc,
I see no advantage to the lever gap and it just looks like poor design/workmanship to me.

Doc
1 x

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:55 pm

I had knee surgery last week so I am hanging around the house because I can't drive and I thought it would be a good time to jump into the process of fitting the lever of my Frontier. I do not know why there is so much space between the lever and the stock on 22 Henry levers but it seems most of them have a very proud gap. I agree with saga22 that it is a poor design. My son is a very good welder and can do the cutting and welding of lever for me so I will just have to do is the grinding and finishing of the lever. I am hoping that the welded area will take a re bluing job. I wish there was an easier way to fix this problem but I have done a lot of research and have not been able to find anybody that has another idea other than bending the lever at the skinny part around the trigger but that would just make it fit parallel to the stock but not a lot closer. .
0 x

SAGA22
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by SAGA22 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:44 pm

leverjc.... Maybe by making a cut not all the way through along the inside of the front arc at just the right spot and then bending you could make the angle just right and the bending could be controlled. You could reposition in the breach and test it before welding without losing your orientation.
Just a thought.

Doc
0 x