Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

buckhorn sights

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: buckhorn sights

Post by Conax » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:12 am

As a younger guy I never noticed any trouble with buck horns on any of my guns. Then I got older and started looking into various peeps, dots and scopes. Weakening eyesight makes changing to easier sights a good idea.
I tried a Williams adjustable peep sight but it needed a very high front post to work on the Henry .22wmr.
Now I have a scope on the .22wmr and a Skinner Express peep on the .44, but the .44 also needed a slightly taller front. I put on a Skinner 3/8" .600" high blade. I never liked the big bead front on the rifle that much anyway. The sharp post helps to draw a tight bead on plinking targets. I can regularly hit a shotgun hull at the 50 yard backstop.
Peep sights are a big help to older eyes.

There are definite advantages to buckhorns. They are easier to use in low light/ evening than a dim peep and they are faster at acquiring moving targets with their open design. It sucks to get old.
0 x

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Conax wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:12 am
As a younger guy I never noticed any trouble with buck horns on any of my guns. Then I got older and started looking into various peeps, dots and scopes. Weakening eyesight makes changing to easier sights a good idea.
I tried a Williams adjustable peep sight but it needed a very high front post to work on the Henry .22wmr.
Now I have a scope on the .22wmr and a Skinner Express peep on the .44, but the .44 also needed a slightly taller front. I put on a Skinner 3/8" .600" high blade. I never liked the big bead front on the rifle that much anyway. The sharp post helps to draw a tight bead on plinking targets. I can regularly hit a shotgun hull at the 50 yard backstop.
Peep sights are a big help to older eyes.

There are definite advantages to buckhorns. They are easier to use in low light/ evening than a dim peep and they are faster at acquiring moving targets with their open design. It sucks to get old.
Tell me about it. I just came in from testing some loads in my 45 Colt lever and only using the buckhorn sights. Not only am I fighting these 73 year old eyes but now I am trying to look through a blurry cataract on my right eye.I have a sight coming tomorrow to replace the buckhorn. Its from Ranger Point and it's one of those rear sights with the circles, forget what they call it. ( Marbles Bullseye), I think. I doubt it will help so I may have to do what I don't want to do and that is scope this rifle. Growing old ain't for the weak.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

Keystone
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Keystone » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:45 pm

I enjoyed the buckhorn for targets and shot well with them. I recently (last week) “upgraded” to a Ranger Point Cloverleaf peep sight and enjoy it. I did the change because I’ll be using my 45-70 for hunting and wanted a faster sight acquisition. I am going on a bear Hunt with it in September which is why I skipped a scope. I have had a bear in a scope once before and got lost in all the black. I could not for the life of me figure out where on the body I was. For a target gun, the semi buckhorn would have remaimed on my gun probably.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Keystone wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:45 pm
I enjoyed the buckhorn for targets and shot well with them. I recently (last week) “upgraded” to a Ranger Point Cloverleaf peep sight and enjoy it. I did the change because I’ll be using my 45-70 for hunting and wanted a faster sight acquisition. I am going on a bear Hunt with it in September which is why I skipped a scope. I have had a bear in a scope once before and got lost in all the black. I could not for the life of me figure out where on the body I was. For a target gun, the semi buckhorn would have remaimed on my gun probably.
Understandable Keystone. Used to bear hunt, so I understand about the scope/all black issue. Probably better with iron sites of some kind, or a very low power scope. Most of my shots, if not all, were at 50 yards or less.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Speaking of the semi- buckhorns that came with my rifle, the other day I was shooting my .22 Silverboy with the sun to my back. The result was fantastic, because the sun illuminated the gold paint on the front site, and made it so nice to line up.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!