Re: I installed a new butt stock

Post by If1Hitu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Looks great congrats.
1 x
A individual can't be a Army
A individual can't be a Navy.
A individual can't be a Air Force
A individual can't be a Coast Guard
A individual can be a MARINE! Semper Fi.

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Very nice looking stock,nice wood.
0 x

JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by JimJ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am

I bought a 3x12 BugBuster scope to replace a 2x7 scope. After installation I decided to clean the H001L of fingerprints and might as well run a bore snake through the barrel. I tried to lever the action but it would only travel half way. Tried the action multiple times with the same result. I felt that something was interfering inside the receiver and since I've watched many YouTube videos I removed the hammer extender and the rear butt stock. When I pulled the stock out a small piece of wool fell out. One of the locator tabs on the front of the stock had broken loose. It was about a half inch square and kept the action from completing it's movement. Took pictures and called Henry, who sent a replacement. I expected it to slide in but the tabs on the front are hitting something in the receiver. I'm leary of forcing it in as that may result in the same outcome. Any thoughts?
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:47 am

Your butt stock is not going to interfere with the levering of the rifle. The Butt stock is not in the receiver.
The same thing happened to my butt stock on my 22 mag frontier. But I was trying to put the stock back upside down and I broke a locator tab right off. So, make sure you are putting it back right side up.
Something about the straight bottom make my brain think it should be on top.
Don't have that problem with pistol grips. If I don't stop and think I'll do it with all the straight grip stocks.
I've had to glue a couple locator tabs back in rifles.
JimJ wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am
I bought a 3x12 BugBuster scope to replace a 2x7 scope. After installation I decided to clean the H001L of fingerprints and might as well run a bore snake through the barrel. I tried to lever the action but it would only travel half way. Tried the action multiple times with the same result. I felt that something was interfering inside the receiver and since I've watched many YouTube videos I removed the hammer extender and the rear butt stock. When I pulled the stock out a small piece of wool fell out. One of the locator tabs on the front of the stock had broken loose. It was about a half inch square and kept the action from completing it's movement. Took pictures and called Henry, who sent a replacement. I expected it to slide in but the tabs on the front are hitting something in the receiver. I'm leary of forcing it in as that may result in the same outcome. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Ojaileveraction on Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by JimJ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm

I just went to my workshop and removed the butt stock. The recoil pad has a teardrop shape and both the original and replacement have a deep slot on the bottom to allow the action to slide into position. If you try to install the butt stock upside down the stock will only go a few inches over the rear of the action. No amount of trying will allow attachment. If it were able to attach you would notice that the recoil pad was upside down. I again tried to install the new butt stock and the locator tabs will not go into the recesses on the rear of the action. I put the old stock back on the rifle and it seems very solid, I'll live with it.
1 x

JimJ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by JimJ » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:31 pm

I noticed that the replacement stock locator tabs show a little wear on the top of each tab. As small businnesses here are shutting down all over town I expect our one and only Range to close up soon. So, there's no rush to fix this now. Some day (hopefully soon) I'll venture out and pick up a small wood file and trim the tabs. Stay safe everyone. Wish we lived in the country.
0 x

If1Hitu
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by If1Hitu » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm

Looks great to me congrats!
0 x