Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dry fire practice with laser?

IndianaJohns
Tenderfoot
Hungary

Dry fire practice with laser?

Post by IndianaJohns » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 pm

Hey guys!

I was thinking about figuring out how to practice at home without blowing holes in the wall or the roof. I know if I would have a handgun, I would have plenty of tools to choose from. LaserHIT, MantisX, etc. Unfortunately these tools are not compatible with a .22 rifle - LaserHIT doesn't make one in this caliber (.223 is the smallest), and the MantisX can't be mounted on a traditional rifle (could be on a more modern/'tacticool' one). Laser bore sights in this caliber are also not usable - the bore sight doesn't have internal batteries due to size, so it's wired instead.

I've read that LaserLyte makes a dry fire practice laser in .22 that you mount at the muzzle, but the targets you have to buy are a bit on the expensive side.

Have any of you had any experience with this? What are you using to practice at home (if you do)?

EDIT: By 'dry fire' I do mean the use of snap caps, of course. I don't want to get my chamber peened and my firing pin broken.
0 x
"You just killed a helicopter with a car!"
"I was out of bullets."

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Dry fire practice with laser?

Post by Greyhawk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm

IndianaJohns wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01 pm
Hey guys!

I was thinking about figuring out how to practice at home without blowing holes in the wall or the roof. I know if I would have a handgun, I would have plenty of tools to choose from. LaserHIT, MantisX, etc. Unfortunately these tools are not compatible with a .22 rifle - LaserHIT doesn't make one in this caliber (.223 is the smallest), and the MantisX can't be mounted on a traditional rifle (could be on a more modern/'tacticool' one). Laser bore sights in this caliber are also not usable - the bore sight doesn't have internal batteries due to size, so it's wired instead.

I've read that LaserLyte makes a dry fire practice laser in .22 that you mount at the muzzle, but the targets you have to buy are a bit on the expensive side.

Have any of you had any experience with this? What are you using to practice at home (if you do)?

EDIT: By 'dry fire' I do mean the use of snap caps, of course. I don't want to get my chamber peened and my firing pin broken.
Boy, I'm not sure what to tell ya... I know my son does a tremendous amount of dry fire practice with a handgun, but, not with a .22 rifle. Maybe next time he is over I will show him your post and see if he has any ideas.
0 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:01 am

Dry fire practice for me is about doing the same thing every time.
site picture not hurrying the shot, not taking the shot if it is not right.
I pretty much know if I'm on target or not when that trigger breaks.
How does the laser help the process?
1 x
Pax at Justitia

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:47 am

I mainly dry fire to check operations or wear in the trigger using dummy rounds.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

IndianaJohns
Tenderfoot
Hungary

Post by IndianaJohns » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Greyhawk wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:53 pm
Boy, I'm not sure what to tell ya... I know my son does a tremendous amount of dry fire practice with a handgun, but, not with a .22 rifle. Maybe next time he is over I will show him your post and see if he has any ideas.
Thanks! Yeah, there are so many options nowadays for practicing at home with a handgun, or a modern pistol caliber rifle, I'm not surprised he enjoys doing it.
Ojaileveraction wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:01 am
How does the laser help the process?
Well, in the case of MantisX and other laser kits that come with an app, it helps you tremendously with accuracy, as it reports on each of your trigger pulls and shows you how to improve. It also shows you the muzzle movement and you can see what's happening with your firearm while you operate it. You can fix bad grips/forms, bad trigger pulls, and simply just gives you a place to train at home by shooting at virtual (or specially designed physical) targets when you can't go out to the range. It would be optimal for me.

In my case, it would also help with training my kids to be proficient with a firearm without breaking any laws; I can't legally discharge a firearm, a BB gun or even a bow within 500 feet of any building, unless I'm at a shooting range. So it would be helpful to me to be able to practice for 'free' (minus the initial investment) and also to teach my kids. We could 'shoot' outside or in the basement at anything without being illegal about it. I can't take my whole family out to the range every week (or even every month), but we could 'plink' whenever this way.
1 x
"You just killed a helicopter with a car!"
"I was out of bullets."