Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Motorcycle carry options?

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Motorcycle carry options?

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Keep in mind, your carbine is 35" long and the case is 28". Maybe it will fit corner to corner but I doubt it considering the size of the butt stock.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I've got a Goldwing but if the V Strom has always appealed to me. Let us know what you decide.
0 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:38 pm
Keep in mind, your carbine is 35" long and the case is 28". Maybe it will fit corner to corner but I doubt it considering the size of the butt stock.
Yea I am not sure what could be in there to make it go from an outside dim of 37" down to 28. Its almost a 10 inch difference. Typo?

In the specs it reads that the interior is 35" x 8.5" x 2" which accounting for 1in padding makes sense. I want to keep the bag as small as possible since I am slinging it but I may just take the chance since its free returns.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Does your bike have a windshield? If not then take a look at the "Kolpin " rifle holders designed for the rack/rails on a 4-wheeler. Might work on your handlebars, rifle, in a sock, sitting horizontally might work...just a thought. Should not be much wider than your bars....just a thought.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Alex wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 pm
In the specs it reads that the interior is 35" x 8.5" x 2" which accounting for 1in padding makes sense. I want to keep the bag as small as possible since I am slinging it but I may just take the chance since its free returns.
35" is the outside spec for the case and Henry list the overall length of your rifle as being 35".... further down in the specifications for the case it says : "Constructed of rugged 900 denier water-resistant fabric, this heavy-duty case comfortably holds and protects a weapon up to 34 inches long." .... sounds like you may want to look for a slightly longer case .... question, are you sure you want a case that will be strapped on you rather than mounted on your bike .. :?:
1 x

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

JEBar wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:29 pm
Alex wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:18 pm
35" is the outside spec for the case and Henry list the overall length of your rifle as being 35".... further down in the specifications for the case it says : "Constructed of rugged 900 denier water-resistant fabric, this heavy-duty case comfortably holds and protects a weapon up to 34 inches long." .... sounds like you may want to look for a slightly longer case .... question, are you sure you want a case that will be strapped on you rather than mounted on your bike .. :?:
I am going to look tomorrow at possibilities of mounting it to the bike. I am a little paranoid about stuff on the bike which is why I chose to wear my sidearm instead of put it in a tank bag. I have had 2 accidents in some 40 years of riding. The last one was about 91 and the first was about 78. When I went down in 78 it was next to a terrible housing project in NYC. I dislocated my shoulder and slammed my head pretty hard as I slid across the floor at 55 mph. As I was assessing my damage a couple of the local bad guys tried to make off with my bike. When I got up to check on the bike which had skidded out some 15 yds from where I stopped three guys had managed to upright it and were pushing it away.

Hate to lose a bike and a Cool rifle!
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Ya know...been thinking about this. If all you want, is to be able to transport on your bike, then just get a deep backpack with dual zippers. Get some foam rubber for the butt stock and bring those zippers up to each side of the rifle. Then let small bungies do the rest. Gonna need some room for ammo etc anyway...right :?:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Alex
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Alex » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 am

Oh and in case anyone doesnt know what A V strom is ... here is my bike. :)

I think I see a nice spot for mounting between the forward crash bar and the rear peg mount? Have to see how it interferes with the rear brake.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 am

Very nice bike Alex!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 am

solid looking ride .... I used to have a Honda bike that I like to ride back in the hills to squirrel hunt .... like you, I wanted to be able to carry a rifle and it took a bit of thinking to figure out how .... mine had hard saddlebags that were attached so that they could be individually removed .... doing so didn't require much time or effort .... I was able to fabricate a crude but effective mounting bracket for a hard rifle case like the one used on 4-wheelers .... it worked well for me .... still have that case and haven't used it in many years
0 x