Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How do you load your Henry rimfire rifle.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: How do you load your Henry rimfire rifle.

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:24 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:30 pm
we also load our centerfire Henry rifles with the action closed and hammer down .... that would also be the case if we owned a Henry 22 .... to date the only state operated ranges we have visited have been in Missouri .... the only cautions in loading ours I've had about loading ours has been to keep the muzzle down range and close to level as possible .... both made sense to me and haven't proven to be difficult to follow
This outdoor, 100 yard range is open Spring through Fall on the weekends for three 90 minute sessions per day. It always has six active Range Officers on duty and they are very friendly and quite helpful. The range is free to use, but it only has ten shooting stations and they are always full. Reservations can be made online starting on the preceding Monday. Walk-ins are accepted, but there are rarely any empty stations.

I resisted loading my rifle with the action open at first, explaining that HRA's User's Manual says that the H006M and H001 rifles should be loaded with the action closed and the hammer down. I was politely told to just follow directions. As it turned out, the rifle performed just fine with the action open...
CT DEEP Glastonbury Shooting Range Rules wrote:The range officers are the authorized officials in command of all functions and activities on the range while in use. They are the authority concerning all matters involving range operation and safety. Participants must heed all range commands without hesitation or risk expulsion from the site.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:35 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:24 pm
It always has six active Range Officers on duty .... it only has ten shooting stations
with 6 range offices covering 10 shooting lanes, it ought to be the best regulated range out there
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:51 pm

Looks like a NICE range Stan...and FREE! great!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:59 pm

Nice range! Nothing like it around here. Here the Forest Service allows people to shoot in their dormant rock quarries deep in the Tillamook forest. First come first serve and crowded on the weekends. Not so much on weekdays.
CT_Shooter wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:24 pm
This outdoor, 100 yard range is open Spring through Fall on the weekends for three 90 minute sessions per day. It always has six active Range Officers on duty and they are very friendly and quite helpful. The range is free to use, but it only has ten shooting stations and they are always full. Reservations can be made online starting on the preceding Monday. Walk-ins are accepted, but there are rarely any empty stations.

2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Welder61
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Welder61 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:34 pm

I also load mine with action closed and hammer down.
0 x

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:20 pm

Have always loaded my Marlins and Henry 22s with the action closed and the hammer down. Done it that way for almost 50 years without a problem. I have shot in ranges without Range Officers so I never had any interference. Never considered it to be unsafe as guns were empty, not topping off the magazine.
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:31 pm

The range I shoot at is operated by Cleveland County, NC. I have loaded my GB both with the action open and closed. No one has ever even commented.

I prefer to load with the action closed and hammer down.
0 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:00 am

Lever closed with hammer on safety notch and a spee-d-loader. Unload with hammer on safety notch. Remove tube, dump magazine then replace tube. Rack TWO rounds out with lever. Safety check and done.
0 x