Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How do you load your Henry rimfire rifle.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: How do you load your Henry rimfire rifle.

Post by markiver54 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:23 pm

jstraw wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:42 pm
I load as the booklets instructs. Just makes the most sense to me. All other lever guns I load with lever closed and hammer down or at half-cock as well. Open action just seems unorthodox and as stated requires an extra cycle of the action. I would rather use that cycle after shooting to double check an empty chamber and magazine.
JMHO.
To any 'inquiring ' mind, who wants to be safe and have everything work as it is suppose to, jstraw sums it up! :)
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 am

Action closed hammer down or safe is the only way that makes sense to me.
2 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 am

but I recently began shooting at a State managed range where they insisted on loading with the action open. It didn't cause any trouble; it just meant having to work the lever twice in order to chamber the first round.

In an organized shooting situation RSOs like to see open actions because an open action is a safe action.
At a local range that shoots various silhouette matches, their tradition is at the 'load' command they have open their actions open when loading their tubular magazine rimfire rifles.
"When in Roam..."
It good to know that it can be done safely with no more than a extra pump of the lever.
Tim
3 x
Pax at Justitia

jstraw
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jstraw » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:35 am

During N-SSA matches the Henry 1860 lever action repeaters are loaded with closed action once the command from the main tower is given. Also stressed is to keep the arm pointed down range while loading the magazine and never allow the muzzle to point over the skyline while on the firing line.This shooting organization conducts many and some very large matches. The aspect stressed as number one is safety. Once the timed rapid fire match is over, then the action must be cycled, remain open and a pencil or short brass rod inserted in the tube mag to the receiver . The line safety for that individual or team then has visual verification that the arm is indeed safe and no rounds in the chamber, carrier block or magazine. Only then is the shooter allowed to leave the line of fire.
I don't mean this to argue any point. I in fact find the differences of opinion and reasoning interesting. I just post this to bring more information forward which some may find of interest.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:49 am

Action closed and hammer down for me. Always have and always will.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:39 am

Yep, action closed, hammer down. On my .357 and .45 Colt. Same for my 39a[rimfire].
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:23 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:49 am
Action closed and hammer down for me. Always have and always will.
This...

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Chucksolo1
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Chucksolo1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Yep, hammer on quarter cock with action closed. Whenever I finish shooting, I automatically put the hammer on quarter cock.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:30 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:50 pm
I've always loaded both of my Henrys with the action closed and the hammer down, but I recently began shooting at a State managed range where they insisted on loading with the action open.

we also load our centerfire Henry rifles with the action closed and hammer down .... that would also be the case if we owned a Henry 22 .... to date the only state operated ranges we have visited have been in Missouri .... the only cautions in loading ours I've had about loading ours has been to keep the muzzle down range and close to level as possible .... both made sense to me and haven't proven to be difficult to follow
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:14 pm

The Long Ranger, also a centerfire, can't be loaded with the action open. The lever blocks the magazine port.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234