Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

HOO1 BARREL REMOVAL ANYONE?

Rep1954
Tenderfoot
United States of America

HOO1 BARREL REMOVAL ANYONE?

Post by Rep1954 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:52 am

Anyone remove the barrel from a H001 before ? I know you have to remove the two dowels but is it a press fit also?
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: HOO1 BARREL REMOVAL ANYONE?

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:24 pm

I know Sir H has like 17 of these and has swapped a bunch of parts, kind of got crazy with these.

I would send Sir Henry a PM; couldn't hurt.........................

Good Luck.

BTW, love my big loop :D
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm

After removing the pins hold the barrel vertical with one hand and tap tap tap the receiver with a rubber mallet. I comes off rather easy.

What is the reason for removing it? Removal is easy as is installing it again but check your headspace.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Rep1954
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rep1954 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm
After removing the pins hold the barrel vertical with one hand and tap tap tap the receiver with a rubber mallet. I comes off rather easy.

What is the reason for removing it? Removal is easy as is installing it again but check your headspace.
I’m making a 16” Mare’s Leg out of a H001ML and the barrel is being chopped off at the step behind the barrel band. I will need to turn the barrel down to the smaller diameter back far enough to use the stock barrel band and front sight. I’ve done work like this before but never with a alloy receiver and wanted to be safe. Thanks, Randy.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:10 pm

A FrankenHenry... :lol:
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu May 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Rep1954 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m making a 16” Mare’s Leg out of a H001ML and the barrel is being chopped off at the step behind the barrel band. I will need to turn the barrel down to the smaller diameter back far enough to use the stock barrel band and front sight. I’ve done work like this before but never with a alloy receiver and wanted to be safe. Thanks, Randy.
Sounds good. I made a .22WMR Marrs Leg from a Frontier with the octagon barrel. I would suggest using the bolt from the diner rifle if possible.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Old Shooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Old Shooter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 pm

Hmmm. Is this a short barrel rifle prohibited under the National Firearms Act? It may be if the barrel is less than 16 inches. That law prohibits the conversion of a rife into a pistol which this conversion may be. Otherwise this looks like a creative conversion and a fun project.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum from CT, Old Shooter. Thanks for joining the conversation. Sir Henry is very well aware of the restrictions and is one of the owners of this forum. He's quite familiar with Henry's and Mare's Legs. He has modified several, creating for himself a legal length WMR Henry Mare's Leg. Pretty cool.
Old Shooter wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 pm
Hmmm. Is this a short barrel rifle prohibited under the National Firearms Act? It may be if the barrel is less than 16 inches. That law prohibits the conversion of a rife into a pistol which this conversion may be. Otherwise this looks like a creative conversion and a fun project.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Old Shooter
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Old Shooter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:02 am

Thanks for the clarification CT, and thanks for the welcome. This conversion sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to see a range report.

I bought my first Henry 20 year ago and now enjoy three. That Yellow Boy .22 I passed on to my now deceased long term hunting partner who loved it. His grandson now shoots it. I recently acquired a low number 30-30 with the loading gate and will hunt with it this season. I have another Henry .22 and will get a .357 carbine soon. Then I might go with a Mare's Leg.
1 x