Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001T Failure to Fire: SOLVED

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

H001T Failure to Fire: SOLVED

Post by henry22 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm

The original post I made is here: https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 084#p96084

I just got the H001T back from my gunsmith today, after removing the firing pin and inspecting the bolt, he said:
Your firing pin was warped slightly from factory. One side was concave, the other side just slightly convex, and the firing pin spring was too stiff in my opinion. Because the firing pin had some travel, it would sometimes travel enough to cause a primer strike, sometimes it wouldn't, being impeded by it's limited range of travel, combined with the stiffness of the factory spring caused the irregular failure to fire.

So he removed the firing pin, spring, straightened and polished the firing pin and edges, installed a lighter factory spring, AND, polished the outside edges of the bolt itself. (Because it was so difficult to remove the receiver cover by pulling the cover backwards as is shown in the dis-assembly videos. When I'd remove the receiver cover, the bolt would always get stuck inside the receiver cover. Now it's as smooth as silk, and slides on and off effortlessly, keeping the bolt in the battery position. He also sharpened the end of the firing pin, and showed me the new primer strikes on the 22 casing which look like the primer strikes on my CZ's .17 HMR casings. Awesome.
H001T Factory Firing Pin Spring.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by henry22 on Tue May 21, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: H001T Failure to Fire: SOLVED

Post by JEBar » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

good to hear you have it fixed .... looking forward to your continued reports after you've had the opportunity to put your Henry through its paces
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm

JEBar, because that blueing is now gone from the bolt's edges, is it going to be prone to rust more?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 pm

henry22 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:50 pm
JEBar, because that blueing is now gone from the bolt's edges, is it going to be prone to rust more?

without knowing the type of metal, I'd think it could be .... the blueing is long gone from several places on my Grandfather's Model 94 but none show any sign of rust ... keeping a light coating of gun oil (currently we use Ballistol) on it seems to work well
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Ok, thanks. Yeap, I'm a Ballistol lover as well. It smells so damn good, like sweet black liquorice.
0 x

Petey
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Petey » Tue May 21, 2019 8:14 pm

henry22 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:24 pm
Ok, thanks. Yeap, I'm a Ballistol lover as well. It smells so damn good, like sweet black liquorice.
Ya Think?
Great product! Been using it for years.
To me, it stinks like somethin ain't right .
Smelled worse .....simply no mistaking that odoriferous scent of Ballistol . :lol:

Happy Shootin To All!
Petey.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue May 21, 2019 8:26 pm

Did you polish the inside of the receiver cover also? I’ve found the cover to be the biggest problem and not the bolt. The bottom and side of the bolt needs the most attention if it’s the actual problem.

I’ve removed all of the blueing on a few H001’s because it looks cool.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Sir Henry... My gunsmith did the work on the bolt and firing pin, spring etc.

I could polish the inside of the cover, but with what?

And how do you get inside there to polish? It's a tight space.

Either way, now when the cover is pulled straight back, it sounds like "Shwick", no friction, and the bolt stays on the carrier's rails, the way my 22 mag does. He did a great job
0 x