Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tube Load Forces Lever Open

StroudPeaces
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Tube Load Forces Lever Open

Post by StroudPeaces » Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi All... my first Henry... H009BWL

Took it to the range and experienced something I did not expect.
Loaded 5 CoreLock rounds and when the tube is 1/2" from being down where it can be locked, it pushes the lever open at least 1/4" or more before it will be allowed to finish down to lock.
If I don't hold the lever, it will push all the way open.

I would not expect this to be normal.
Any thoughts?
Am I doing something wrong?

It fires fine after loading but does this for every load.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Tube Load Forces Lever Open

Post by JEBar » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

first,welcome to our forum .... do you have the barrel pointed anywhere near straight up while dropping shells into the loading tube .. :?: .. if so, the force from the falling bullets can pop open the lever .... the correct way is to angle the tube upward only enough to get the shells to slide down the tube .... if you are already doing so, a call to Henry may be in order .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your rifle to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 291#p96291
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat May 18, 2019 3:52 pm

StroudPeaces wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm
Welcome to the forum from CT and congratulations on your new Henry. JEBar has given some good advice. Let us know how you make out, either way.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm

My H009B does it as well. Especially when the inner mag tube gets hungup on the .30-30 ammo cartridge rims. And the one that the tube gets hungup on the most is the one closest to the receiver. There are older topics here that speak of this issue, too. I have found that for some reason with Federal Fusion ammo rim hangup, and consequently lever pop, is less likely to occur. Maybe it's the boat tail shape of the Fusion bullet. I did contact HenryCS about it. They told me I could send it in and they would be happy to look at it. I chose not to based on older posts and more recent feedback that indicated the lever would still pop sometimes even after getting it back from HenryCS. It helps to spin the inner mag tube as you push it in.

Welcome to the Forum from the TV Oregon!
StroudPeaces wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm

Took it to the range and experienced something I did not expect.
Loaded 5 CoreLock rounds and when the tube is 1/2" from being down where it can be locked, it pushes the lever open at least 1/4" or more before it will be allowed to finish down to lock.
If I don't hold the lever, it will push all the way open.

I would not expect this to be normal.
Any thoughts?
Am I doing something wrong?

It fires fine after loading but does this for every load.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat May 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm
My H009B does it as well. Especially when the inner mag tube gets hungup on the .30-30 ammo cartridge rims. And the one that the tube gets hungup on the most is the one closest to the receiver. There are older topics here that speak of this issue, too. I have found that for some reason with Federal Fusion ammo rim hangup, and consequently lever pop, is less likely to occur. Maybe it's the boat tail shape of the Fusion bullet. I did contact HenryCS about it. They told me I could send it in and they would be happy to look at it. I chose not to based on older posts and more recent feedback that indicated the lever would still pop sometimes even after getting it back from HenryCS. It helps to spin the inner mag tube as you push it in.
Same with my BBSC .41, but only a occasional pop from recoil if I load a full tube. I've taken to only loading 3 or 4 rounds. Not a big deal, and not worth the effort to send it in.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 pm

My 30-30CCH has never experienced this, and I've run at least a half-dozen brands of ammo through it, so the advice above is solid. Please keep us posted and WELCOME to the forum from KC!
Glad you're here!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sat May 18, 2019 6:31 pm

welcome to the forum!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Another Welcome to the forum. My 357 will do that occasionally but it doesnt unlock all the way.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sat May 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Welcome.
My BBB 357 does that.
I just open the lever and the load.
The open lever keep any rounds from comeing out of the magazine.
Close the mag-tube the double pump the lever, Boom.
The same thing can happen with my 1895 Marlin if I don't hold the lever cclosed.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 pm

I had that problem with an earlier model H009 (2013, if I remember correctly) that popped with the lightest touch to the lever when loaded; it was cured by replacing the lever with a current production type. Why the newer models occasionally do that baffles me. I suppose, with enough force, it could happen anytime. Placing the tube with a slight twisting motion is what I do, without thinking about it. Instinct? ;)
0 x