Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fail To Fire in my H001T

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Fail To Fire in my H001T

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Buying older 22s, the #1 reason for failure to fire is a gunked up firinging pin channel. The free floating firingpin doesn't free float.
If you haven't detailed the bolt I'd check that first. Even without removing the pin.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 pm

How do "detail" the bolt?
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm

This video starting at 4:15.
https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... h001-22lr/
henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 pm
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 pm

henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 pm
Nooks, crannies and crevices using nylon/brass brushes, pointie things covered with old tee shirt, being liberal the straw sprayer, letting it soak, qtips.
While you got take a jewlers' loop to the end of the firing pin
0 x
Pax at Justitia

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 am

I've done that exactly, more than a few times. If I've shot 1000 rounds plus, I take the receiver cover off, clean the bolt as he does in the video. I've never really used any plastic picks, but I've scrubbed the hell out of the bolt face with Ballistol, used toothpicks, sometimes first spraying the entire bolt with 91% rubbing alcohol, alcohol into the extractor and then wrapping a rag around the bolt cut-out, in my hand, and whipping the bolt in a downward motion towards to floor with a big piece of cardboard underneath to catch all the black stuff coming out.

Then I'll put a drop or 2 of oil in both the extractor and ejector channels, let it run downwards, and shake out any excess oil, then rub the entire surface of the bolt with thin film of oil.

I'll just take it to the gunsmith, he'll let me know what's going on.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 am

Following along on this thread. I hope you post the results when you find out what the cause would be.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:46 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm
henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 pm
Thanks guys. I just spoke with Jeff at Henry. I asked him, in his opinion what might cause the light primer strikes, looking at previous calls. He said it's usually a case of dry firing, which results in a worn firing pin.

... I told Jeff, that often when I'm shooting, if I'm not counting the rounds, the last one typically goes "CLICK", and then I know I'm empty. How many times have I done that....? If I've put 8000+ plus rounds through this rifle, probably quite a few times.
Soon after I got my H001, I talked to Henry CS to inquire about dry firing because, like you, I would lose count and pull the trigger on an empty chamber. They strongly advised against dry firing any of their rim fire rifles and suggested using a .22 Short as the the last round in a tube of .22 LRs to serve as an indicator since it would feel and sound different. Now, I do that.

Good luck with your gun. You seem to shoot it more than many of us shoot ours! I hope to read that you've solved the problem.
Great idea CT thanks for posting that. Im like you Im having to much fun to be counting how many I have shot. Need to go buy some shorts.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Czy_Horse
Tenderfoot
Canada

Post by Czy_Horse » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 am

henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 pm
Thanks guys. I just spoke with Jeff at Henry. I asked him, in his opinion what might cause the light primer strikes, looking at previous calls. He said it's usually a case of dry firing, which results in a worn firing pin.

I can either send my rifle to a company here in Ontario that is the sole warranty provider for Henry rifles, or bring it to my gunsmith. I also found out that he can order parts directly from the warranty company (if they have them in stock). It could be as simple as replacing the firing pin.

The thing is, I don't sit at home and dry fire the weapon, but I told Jeff, that often when I'm shooting, if I'm not counting the rounds, the last one typically goes "CLICK", and then I know I'm empty. How many times have I done that....? If I've put 8000+ plus rounds through this rifle, probably quite a few times.

I have no idea how many "CLICKS" it takes though for a firing pin in a Henry to become questionable.

Jeff suggested putting a snap cap or dummy round in as the last round in the tube. But honestly, most of the time, I just sit at the bench and load a single round at a time into the chamber from the ejection port, because I'm lazy, and it's fast.

Regarding the bolt, as far as disassembly goes, I think I'll leave that to the smith. The first thing he might do is soak the bolt in solvent, and use an air hose/compressor to blow it out. But likely he'll dis-assemble the bolt, and in inspect the channel and firing pin.

I really would like to see a Henry bolt completely disassembled though, just to see the inner parts, and how it's put together.
Grech is the last person you want working on your rifle. Only use Grech if you have absolutely no other option.

Hmm, Snap Caps/Dummy Rounds, I'm going to go that route with mine, Thanks!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am

Czy_Horse ....

welcome to our forum, happy to have you join us .... I hope you will feel free to read and post often .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry rifles to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p101138
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

Welcome to the forum from CT. Glad you joined us.
Czy_Horse wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 am
Hmm, Snap Caps/Dummy Rounds, I'm going to go that route with mine, Thanks!
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"