Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fail To Fire in my H001T

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Fail To Fire in my H001T

Post by henry22 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello guys. I noticed a few weeks ago that I had more than just a few FTF's shooting Blazer. I had been shooting Blazer 500 round boxes all summer with only a FTF once in awhile. Then about 2 weeks ago, I noticed more than one or 2. It seemed like every 8th round wouldn't discharge.

I switched to CCI, trying standard velocity, mini-mags (both 36 and 40 grain) I do have to say, that the standard velocity is the most accurate I've experienced with this rifle - superb at 50 yard's actually, 1/4" groups and many cloverleafs, repeatedly.

Back to the FTF issue. I do notice sometimes, that when I'm squeezing the trigger, I feel a light hammer strike - it dosesn't go SNAP like the firing pin on my CZ.

I looked at the backs of the primers after the FTF's, and sometimes the strike mark looks weak.

Have any of you had any issues like this? And what would Henry typically do in that situation?

Much thanks.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Fail To Fire in my H001T

Post by RanchRoper » Wed May 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Contact HRA right away. They will look after you.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

have you had any FTF's with CCI's
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Yes, the FTF started with Blazer a few weeks ago. I had some in the past, but they were rare. Now, with CCI's, from Standard Velocity, Mini-Mags, both 40 and 36 grain.

I took a few pictures of my bolt face, with the firing pin depressed from the rear:
Notice that pin, it always ends up protruding from the top of the bolt over a few shots. When I've dis-assembled the rifle to clean the bolt, I always push the pin back down with a small punch, but it always makes its way back up again.
BOLT SIDE.JPG
BOLT PIN.JPG

BOLT FACE.JPG

I know the bolt face picture isn't crystal clear.
It was difficult to get an in focus close-up. Could the firing pin's face be worn? Or not extruding enough from the bolt face? I have no idea.

I had to add this, I saved the target from today.

I've been trying different CCI ammo, Mini-Mags, 36 grain & 40 grain, and finally, Standard Velocity 40 grain, 1070 FPS. WOW. I've never shot so consistently with this ammo through the Henry. I think I've found my new ammo. After the target, I threaded some bamboo skewers (cut into 1 inch lengths) into some very small orange marrets, then spiked them onto the target board, and orange spray painted peanuts, — spiked vertically onto toothpicks. I was able to hit every single one of them without any real effort it seemed. It's definitely not me, because I've missed many times, but come close with Blazer. This Standard Velocity ammo is the real deal. Amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by henry22 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Remove the firing pin and take a picture of it laying flat, on a piece of paper and post please.
Also did you happen to save any of the FTF rounds? I would like to see the firing pin dents in them.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 15, 2019 11:21 pm

with FTF's using multiple different brands of ammo, I agree that it would be wise to contact Henry .... how old is your rifle .. :?:
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 am

JEBar, I bought rifle brand new in March of 2018. I shot it steady from April of 2018, to November 2018, then again this years starting in April. The rifle is only over a year old, but I have put at least 8000 rounds through it since I bought it, probably a bit more. When I first got it, I was shooting 1000 rounds per week.

Mistered, I don't know how to remove the actual firing pin from the bolt. I always wondered how to dis-assemble the Henry 22 bolts, but was afraid to try thinking I might screw something up.

I did save 2 of the FTF casings. And I should add, that because I love shooting so much, I HATE when a round is wasted due to FTF. So, I've gotten into the habit of waiting 10-15 seconds, ejecting the failed round, rolling it, and inserting it manually back into the chamber via the ejection port, and re-firing. It always works.

BUT, today, I tried the same thing with one FTF round, as I've always done, and instead simply firing, it fired, but I felt a kind of "SNAP" like a shock on the tip of my nose. I noticed a lot of smoke smoldering around the receiver, and it kept smoldering for a few seconds. It really freaked me out. I ejected the casing, and noticed a black charred ring on the outside edge of the primer lip.

Here's the pics of the casings, with 2 pin strikes on each: Keep in mind, after both FTF, I inserted each cartridge back into the chamber. Both fired, but one smoked or snapped, crackled or something. Not sure what happened. It was like the primer edge became charred and deformed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 12:48 am

I don't have an H001T. I've had FTF in my .30-30. Always when it happened, the first round from a full magazine.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 am

I had the same problem a while back. The channel the firing pin rides in is probably gunked up. It requires a pin (not the one highlighted) to be pushed to completely remove the firing pin, but the firing pin will pull up enough to clean the channel without removing.

This is not an "if" it happens but a "when" it happens. The dirtier the ammo, of course, the quicker it will happen.

The pin highlighted is for the extractor and is a separate issue.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:34 am

Is FTF used interchangeably for Fail to Fire and Fail to Feed?

I'm assuming the OP meant the former...................
0 x