Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Fail To Fire in my H001T

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Fail To Fire in my H001T

Post by Mistered » Thu May 16, 2019 7:24 am

but I have put at least 8000 rounds through it since I bought it,probably a bit more.
After reading this Part you are WAY past due for a COMPLETE disassembly and cleaning - and this includes removal of the firing pin - along with everything else so it looks like an 'exploded' parts diagram on your bench !
You need to do this first before anything further, guessing or speculating.
.22 ammo is very dirty as it is very possible you are getting occasional 'cushioning' of a round due to carbon buildup, then on the 2nd try the round chambers solidly enough to fire.
Also it is possible the snap you are hearing and the smoke from the chamber is due to excessive carbon buildup inside the chamber and is slightly blocking it causing back pressure. I once saw a .22 rifle so dirty the bullet jammed and the pressure ripped the rim off the case.
It is very likely after after a complete break down and intense cleaning this problem will be gone.
And what would Henry typically do in that situation?
Most likely exactly what I recommend.
Last edited by Mistered on Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 16, 2019 7:44 am

AGREE
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

Henry 88, how do I remove the firing pin and clean that channel? Is it something I can do, or should I send the bolt to Henry? I'm mechanically inclined, and very comfortable completely dis-assembling both my H001T and H001M.

But the bolt is another story. How do you lift that pin to gain access to the firing pin and channel?

And, do you think the firing pin itself is sound?

Can you immerse these Henry rimfire bolts into a jar with solvent, and soak them overnight, then blow out the debris or gunk with an air hose?
0 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 am

Mistered, JEBar, what's the process to disassemble that bolt. I've never been able to find a video anywhere online.

Much thanks guys.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 am

I do not own this particular rifle and I am quite sure there are instruction somewhere on the internet describing disassembly procedures. If not inspect it, look for pins that need removal and if anything is 'spring loaded' make sure you hang onto it so something doesn't go flying when removed or better yet disassemble the bolt inside a gallon size plastic bag to prevent parts loss.
My point being is There ain't much to any lever action rifle bolt and they are pretty basic and simple to disassemble and If you are mechanically inclined and comfortable disasssmbling the rest of the rifle then the bolt disassembly should be a no brainer.
Probably - providing you have never (or at least minimally) dry fired the rifle.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 am

henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am
Henry 88, how do I remove the firing pin and clean that channel? Is it something I can do, or should I send the bolt to Henry? I'm mechanically inclined, and very comfortable completely dis-assembling both my H001T and H001M.

But the bolt is another story. How do you lift that pin to gain access to the firing pin and channel?

Can you immerse these Henry rimfire bolts into a jar with solvent, and soak them overnight, then blow out the debris or gunk with an air hose?
There is a complete video guide on the Henry website.

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... h001-22lr/

There is one pin holding in the firing pin and apparently a spring underneath it. As I said, lifting the pin and using the firearms cleaner cleaner of your choice (one with a straw to increase velocity) and keep hitting it, I got the channel clean.

What I should have done is what Mistered suggested. Next time..........

BTW, the firing pin appears recessed cause it's held back by a spring, giving it space to attain velocity upon release.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 am
Mistered, JEBar, what's the process to disassemble that bolt. I've never been able to find a video anywhere online.

Much thanks guys.

disassembly and removing the bolt is shown in the video below .... as with most that I've seen, they don't get into taking the bolt apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUfDVxqG8c
2 x

henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Thanks guys. I just spoke with Jeff at Henry. I asked him, in his opinion what might cause the light primer strikes, looking at previous calls. He said it's usually a case of dry firing, which results in a worn firing pin.

I can either send my rifle to a company here in Ontario that is the sole warranty provider for Henry rifles, or bring it to my gunsmith. I also found out that he can order parts directly from the warranty company (if they have them in stock). It could be as simple as replacing the firing pin.

The thing is, I don't sit at home and dry fire the weapon, but I told Jeff, that often when I'm shooting, if I'm not counting the rounds, the last one typically goes "CLICK", and then I know I'm empty. How many times have I done that....? If I've put 8000+ plus rounds through this rifle, probably quite a few times.

I have no idea how many "CLICKS" it takes though for a firing pin in a Henry to become questionable.

Jeff suggested putting a snap cap or dummy round in as the last round in the tube. But honestly, most of the time, I just sit at the bench and load a single round at a time into the chamber from the ejection port, because I'm lazy, and it's fast.

Regarding the bolt, as far as disassembly goes, I think I'll leave that to the smith. The first thing he might do is soak the bolt in solvent, and use an air hose/compressor to blow it out. But likely he'll dis-assemble the bolt, and in inspect the channel and firing pin.

I really would like to see a Henry bolt completely disassembled though, just to see the inner parts, and how it's put together.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 pm

He said it's usually a case of dry firing, which results in a worn firing pin.
Yea wondered that myself and asked you about it HOWEVER - I STILL maintain you disassemble the bolt and clean the parts.
It cannot be that difficult. I have disassembled bolts from more guns that I can remember and a few have been a little more challenging than others but never something I could not do.
This way once you do it you can inspect the firing pin and if it shows any 'peening' on the end of it just go ahead and replace it.
You kill 'two birds with one stone' here - you learn how to disassemble your bolt AND replace the firing pin - IF really necessary - which It may NOT be.
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm

henry22 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:24 pm
Thanks guys. I just spoke with Jeff at Henry. I asked him, in his opinion what might cause the light primer strikes, looking at previous calls. He said it's usually a case of dry firing, which results in a worn firing pin.

... I told Jeff, that often when I'm shooting, if I'm not counting the rounds, the last one typically goes "CLICK", and then I know I'm empty. How many times have I done that....? If I've put 8000+ plus rounds through this rifle, probably quite a few times.
Soon after I got my H001, I talked to Henry CS to inquire about dry firing because, like you, I would lose count and pull the trigger on an empty chamber. They strongly advised against dry firing any of their rim fire rifles and suggested using a .22 Short as the the last round in a tube of .22 LRs to serve as an indicator since it would feel and sound different. Now, I do that.

Good luck with your gun. You seem to shoot it more than many of us shoot ours! I hope to read that you've solved the problem.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"