Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New loading gate rifle

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: New loading gate rifle

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Me too. I wasn't seriously considering adding more Henry rifles either. But a .44 side-gate someday...
JEBar wrote: .... I tend to believe that these introductions by Henry will result in many, many rifles being sold to supporters, like me, who had reached the point that they weren't seriously considering adding more Henry rifles to their collections
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Preacher
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Preacher » Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm

My dream would be a .357 carbine (big loop) with a side loading gate. I guess I'll have to wait a while.
1 x
A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 pm

The tube fed levers are here to stay and nobody seems to mind them being loaded that way. :)
Except for all the others (on other forums etc.) who state the only reason they will NOT own a Henry is because of the tube load system - and it is a sizable number of people who say this.
Obviously Henry realizes this also or they wouldn't have fielded side gate loaders.
However while the idea of the side gate coupled with retaining the the tube load system seems like a great idea I am afraid a similar problem MIGHT be encountered similarly with the current tube system and that is with the rims of cartridges 'catching' on the inner tube as loading rounds is being accomplished.
The inner tube reduces the inside diameter of the load tube and if the mouth of the inner tube is left 'square' rims of the cartridges will no doubt catch on the mouth of the inner tube and POSSIBLY cause sticking of the rounds being loaded.
This is not a problem on other traditional side gate loading rifles as there is only one tube as a magazine with nothing for the rounds to catch or hang up on.
0 x

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:07 pm

im going to jump out on a Very big limb. and just from talking to a cpl friends... if Henry offers the side gate in a .357/38spc, 45lc, or 44spc/mag And someone can figure out to reliably short stroke it Then the cowboy action folks may take notice..the to biggest reasons not alot shoot henry's is the tube load take to long if you miss one.

again just my opinion
1 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

1/2 of a old hippy couple just trying to enjoy life.
proud son of a WWII Veteran, Proud Father of a Veteran, Veteran USAF 85-92

ride safe, ride free, never forget those who paid for our freedom

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:52 pm

bmsma wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:07 pm
im going to jump out on a Very big limb. and just from talking to a cpl friends... if Henry offers the side gate in a .357/38spc, 45lc, or 44spc/mag And someone can figure out to reliably short stroke it Then the cowboy action folks may take notice..the to biggest reasons not alot shoot henry's is the tube load take to long if you miss one.

again just my opinion
Ever try to rapidly cycle a Henry .357? Mine definitely does not like it. Perhaps there are some mods that would allow you to do this reliably, but even then, there would be no short stroke mod available.

I would be more interested in cowboy action shooting if it were based on accuracy rather than speed.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

Mistered wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 pm
However while the idea of the side gate coupled with retaining the the tube load system seems like a great idea I am afraid a similar problem MIGHT be encountered similarly with the current tube system and that is with the rims of cartridges 'catching' on the inner tube as loading rounds is being accomplished.
The inner tube reduces the inside diameter of the load tube and if the mouth of the inner tube is left 'square' rims of the cartridges will no doubt catch on the mouth of the inner tube and POSSIBLY cause sticking of the rounds being loaded.
This is not a problem on other traditional side gate loading rifles as there is only one tube as a magazine with nothing for the rounds to catch or hang up on.
Interesting thought.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 pm

I would be more interested in cowboy action shooting if it were based on accuracy rather than speed.
[/quote]

i cannot disagree with this statement
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

bmsma
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by bmsma » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:28 pm

way off topic but i want to add, while sass aka cowboy action may not be my cup of coffee, like other area of life such as this forum, there are alot of real good people involved
0 x
Troy Jones
N Oklahoma,

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:34 pm

So would I - I could put up with some other minor 'detractors' if the speed aspect was not part of it.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:39 pm

GFK wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm
Mistered wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 pm
Interesting thought.
I haven't heard of that being a problem. I think if it were, somebody would have said something by now. I don't know how Henry might have addressed that tho. I got hands on with a 30-30 H024 at my lgs this morning, but didn't think about exploring that. They probably wouldn't have let me disassemble it anyway. :lol: I did pull the inner tube out and it looks the same as any other tube - steel follower and all.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.