Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New loading gate rifle

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New loading gate rifle

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:10 am

Bugs wrote:I wonder if enough people would want "tube load only" or we would see the gradual disappearance of tube load only models.

I own and use both but I prefer the tube loading system .... if / when I only want to load one round, I throw it into the ejection port
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 am

Lever guns are a small percentage of the overall rifle market. Henry will take this into consideration before making any decision on expanding the line into other calibers. The bottom line rules.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:56 am

I wonder if enough people would want "tube load only" or we would see the gradual disappearance of tube load only models.
While I have often mentioned there is an advantage to tube loading with PISTOL cartridges I don't believe it's enough, or is popular enough to maintain it IF the side gate rifle sales take off - which there is good evidence to believe they will. I'd predict tube load RIFLE cartridge model sales to drop dramatically and PISTOL calibers to follow suit IF they are introduced as well - which i can hardly imagine they wouldn't be.
I don't think many bought their Henry purely because it WAS a tube feed. I think Henrys are bought for other reason and the tube feed was an accepted part of it - but not the primary reason for the decision.
4 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am

I've been having similar thoughts. If I were planning to buy another Henry, I'd be putting those plans on hold.
Bugs wrote:Thinking about this one has to wonder if it might create "I want the gate & tube load from now on" if they start to move on to the other calibers. Might affect sales as people wait for the new models. If they do it they may have to completely retrofit over to gate & tube load on all models. I wonder if enough people would want "tube load only" or we would see the gradual disappearance of tube load only models.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:10 am

I do mind. I've always experienced tube loading as awkward and at times irritating. Side gate loading is so much more ergonomic in handling.
bandit1250 wrote:... tube fed levers are here to stay and nobody seems to mind them being loaded that way. :)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:16 am

tweaking your quote...
" I think Henrys are bought for other reasons and the tube feed was a [tolerated] part of it..."
Mistered wrote:... I don't think many bought their Henry purely because it WAS a tube feed. I think Henrys are bought for other reason and the tube feed was an accepted part of it - but not the primary reason for the decision.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:28 am

Yes, but Henry owns most of the lever gun market (even ignoring the size of the overall market, the lever gun market by itself is quite sizable). So expansion into other calibers is likely mostly to their established customer base to start with along with some co-existance expansion into the overall market to capture customers now attracted by a good looking, high quality lever with side gates.
GunnyGene wrote:Lever guns are a small percentage of the overall rifle market. Henry will take this into consideration before making any decision on expanding the line into other calibers. The bottom line rules.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:39 am

Mags wrote:.
Yes, but Henry owns most of the lever gun market (even ignoring the size of the overall market, the lever gun market by itself is quite sizable). So expansion into other calibers is likely mostly to their established customer base to start with along with some co-existance expansion into the overall market to capture customers now attracted by a good looking, high quality lever with side gates.
GunnyGene wrote:Lever guns are a small percentage of the overall rifle market. Henry will take this into consideration before making any decision on expanding the line into other calibers. The bottom line rules.
True, but I wonder if Henry might also be positioning themselves to capture some of the semi-auto market if the attacks on "evil black rifles" succeed at some point in the future. I think many folks might be attracted to lever guns as a fallback, rather than pumps and bolts. Something that might be factored into this.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 pm

all one has to do is read through post on this forum to to confirm that Henry already has a solid customer base .... I have purchased 3 Henry rifles, 2 for myself and 1 for our oldest grandson .... we have firm plans to purchase 2 more 357's for our younger grandsons .... for me to purchase another for myself, they would have to come up with something (I know not what) new .... even though I have no interest in either of them, the introduction of two new calibers (35 Rem and 38-55) is encouraging, as is the introduction of the loading gate .... I tend to believe that these introductions by Henry will result in many, many rifles being sold to supporters, like me, who had reached the point that they weren't seriously considering adding more Henry rifles to their collections
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Yes agree with that too. Also there are co-existence buyers who buy both levers and black rifles, already.
GunnyGene wrote:True, but I wonder if Henry might also be positioning themselves to capture some of the semi-auto market if the attacks on "evil black rifles" succeed at some point in the future. I think many folks might be attracted to lever guns as a fallback, rather than pumps and bolts. Something that might be factored into this.
Mags wrote:.
0 x