Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

To refinish, or not to refinish

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: To refinish, or not to refinish

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:29 am

Renwax would prevent the water staining shown in the picture from the book...
GunnyGene wrote:
shootest wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:BLO is a very poor finish in terms of durability, weather resistance, etc., and will require regular(think monthly at least) maintenance even if it just hangs on the wall.
Well, I have two opinions. Yours seems strange. The Garand was finished with BLO and I’ve never had a problem, thanks for playing. :roll:
Not just my opinion, but that of every professional woodworker. Recommend you find a copy of Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner.

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Wo ... 956&sr=8-2

A page from the above book:

0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:54 am

Mags wrote:.
GunnyGene wrote:
shootest wrote:
It will for a while. It's primary advantage over other waxes is that it's non-acidic, retards moisture, and blocks oxygen, which makes it an excellent preservative for artwork, metals, etc. that are not frequently handled - such as in museums which is what it was originally developed for. But it is still a wax, which means it remains relatively soft compared to other finishes, and therefore subject to wear. As with any other finish (including paints) what you choose largely depends on how frequently you are willing to refresh it given the expected wear and tear it will be subjected to by handling, or exposure to the elements.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:03 am

yup, absolutely correct. That is why applying a light wipe of Renwax is part of my gun cleaning regimen.
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:.
GunnyGene wrote:
It will for a while. It's primary advantage over other waxes is that it's non-acidic, retards moisture, and blocks oxygen, which makes it an excellent preservative for artwork, metals, etc. that are not frequently handled - such as in museums which is what it was originally developed for. But it is still a wax, which means it remains relatively soft compared to other finishes, and therefore subject to wear. As with any other finish (including paints) what you choose largely depends on how frequently you are willing to refresh it given the expected wear and tear it will be subjected to by handling, or exposure to the elements.
Last edited by Mags on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:20 am

[quote="Mags"].
yup, absolutely correct. That is way applying a light wipe of Renwax is part of my gun cleaning regimen.
[quote="GunnyGene"]

Other than firearms, my primary use of renwax is to prevent surface rust on my iron top table saw, bandsaw, etc. and a large collection of woodworking hand tools. Depending on how much use they see, I have to reapply as needed. But I'd rather do that than deal with the inevitable rust that will form overnight in MS. :roll: :)
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:44 am

I have also used Renwax as a lubricant on my tool box drawer slides/guides...
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Mags wrote:I have also used Renwax as a lubricant on my tool box drawer slides/guides...
Yep. Works well as a lube on many things that slide, including on the wood guides you find on fine antique (or modern) chests of drawers. What I used on this one I built from scratch a few years ago:

Not quite finished with it in this pic.

4 x

Rep1954
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rep1954 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:43 pm

What about using Danish Oil? I have used it on smooth revolver grips that were waxed afterward and they seem to work out okay.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Rep1954 wrote:What about using Danish Oil? I have used it on smooth revolver grips that were waxed afterward and they seem to work out okay.
Danish is fine. You can even make it yourself. Approximately equal parts of some polymerized oil such as BLO, Walnut, Tung, etc., Polyurethane, and Mineral spirits. Mineral spirits is the thinner. It's important to get a quality gloss poly if you do this and use enough mineral spirits to thin it sufficiently to wipe on in very thin coats. It will take 5-7 thin coats (light sanding with 320 grit between coats after each coat is cured, and wiping off all sanding debris with a tack cloth between coats), but you'll get a much better finish than using a thick mix.

I'd suggest experimenting with small quantities of the mixture to get what you want. If you buy the ready made Danish at Lowes, HD, etc. thin it with mineral spirits, since it's usually too thick to use right out of the can. Pour a little into a separate container when using and don't leave the top off the can. Oxygen will cause it to start to cure, and then you might as well throw it out. I usually throw a few marbles in the can to displace any air after I pour out what I'll need for the moment, and put the lid back on immediately.

Same goes for any other finish. Air is your enemy if you want to keep it fresh. :)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:51 pm

that's hefty looking well made!
GunnyGene wrote:
Mags wrote:I have also used Renwax as a lubricant on my tool box drawer slides/guides...
Yep. Works well as a lube on many things that slide, including on the wood guides you find on fine antique (or modern) chests of drawers. What I used on this one I built from scratch a few years ago:

Not quite finished with it in this pic.

0 x

Frontiersman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Frontiersman » Sat May 25, 2019 10:50 pm

I like Lin-Speed oil. I've been using it for decades. It's a wonderful stock finish.
0 x