Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My H001 Hold Sensitivity

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

My H001 Hold Sensitivity

Post by Henry88 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Hey all,

So on NCG's Browning T bolt thread, NCG provided us with a wealth of knowledge, as usual. :D

Rather than to continue to hijack that thread, I've started this one. In that thread, she had said,

"Lever guns are another gun design that can be touchy about forearm pressure, especially forearms that use a barrel band. More than one shooter has discovered that over tightening a barrel band can wreck accuracy. Rifle style lever gun forearms with a cap are generally a better design, but, remember, there's a lot of stuff dangling underneath a lever gun barrel like a tubular magazine and so forth. Even a loose tubular magazine bouncing around during a shot can affect accuracy."

So what I did was setup a little 15 yd range, and using CCI Quiets with the HiViz sights and see what happened if I moved the rest from the front of the forearm (2 shots) to the very rear (3 shots from where I usually hold). Now no contacts/reading glasses on; using prescription glasses so I cant see the rear sight that well........excuses > checked :D

classic_quiets.jpg

So on my gun the POI moved that much, and remember this is 15 yds :lol:

Funny thing is I never had a problem with a loose forearm or anything really. It just kind of goes to show you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: My H001 Hold Sensitivity

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:46 pm

interesting .... I've never considered band issues .... thanks for the info
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 pm

First, thank you so much for taking what I said to heart and putting it to the test. I do appreciate it.

That's a very small sample, of course, but it certainly shows the potential change in POI with different positions used to rest a forearm. Imagine what that can do to accuracy at 50 yards when you fail to be consistent as to where you place that forearm on a rest. And that's with something as mildly recoiling as a 22 LR. Think about how a 44 mag bucks off a rest.
1 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 pm

North Country Gal wrote:First, thank you so much for taking what I said to heart and putting it to the test. I do appreciate it.

That's a very small sample, of course, but it certainly shows the potential change in POI with different positions used to rest a forearm. Imagine what that can do to accuracy at 50 yards when you fail to be consistent as to where you place that forearm on a rest. And that's with something as mildly recoiling as a 22 LR. Think about how a 44 mag bucks off a rest.
Question: North Country Gal, is this the position where you would like to see the forearm resting? This is the rest I typically use but I generally have it further out toward the barrel. Any advice that you have to tweak my accuracy would be appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:41 pm

Yes, this is a new one to me. It was mentioned to me on the Marlin Owner's Forum during a discussing about scopes: Due to the band being around the barrel and magazine, over tighten the band could cause barrel harmonics (vibration). Because of the quality of the screws (some type of alloy), I just make sure they are snug. But, I did research it some:

https://www.guntweaks.com/barrel-harmonics.html

I generally try and put my rest in the middle of my forearm though.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Imagine what that can do to accuracy at 50 yards when you fail to be consistent
Sounds like a mantra to me.

How ever you hold it CONSISTENCY is what you are after.
Same hold, same sight picture, same load, same breath, same trigger pressure, same, same.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:17 am

Greyhawk, yes, that would work or even farther back, snug up against the lever, though, of course, makes working the lever a hassle. No one ever said lever guns are bench guns, though. :)

Consistency is everything in shooting, I agree. Olympic class shooters know where every body part is supposed to go, from the head all the way down to individual toes. A mental game all the way. Never ceases to amaze me how fatigued and tired I am after a good range session, even though I didn't do much more than load and fire the gun.
2 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Very interesting. Thanks for the information, something to keep in mind.
0 x