Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The wait is over!

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: The wait is over!

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:52 pm

COngrats, Mark! You've got a keeper, for sure!

As to you Qs:
1. I always swab the bore AND the mag tube. I've found the mag tubes to be dirtier than the barrels in most of my new Henrys. Don't ask me how, they just were...
2. I believe I can see how your front sight is a bit off-center to the right, but I'd go shoot it just to make sure.
3. I don't know of a tool that can line up a bore with a front blade, but, if there's one out there, these folks will chime in about it, I'm sure. Would be news to me, though.

Keep us all posted and have a great time - - take lots of ammo, you won't be able to quit!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:55 pm

ESquared wrote:COngrats, Mark! You've got a keeper, for sure!

As to you Qs:
1. I always swab the bore AND the mag tube. I've found the mag tubes to be dirtier than the barrels in most of my new Henrys. Don't ask me how, they just were...
2. I believe I can see how your front sight is a bit off-center to the right, but I'd go shoot it just to make sure.
3. I don't know of a tool that can line up a bore with a front blade, but, if there's one out there, these folks will chime in about it, I'm sure. Would be news to me, though.

Keep us all posted and have a great time - - take lots of ammo, you won't be able to quit!
:D thanks Evan! All points well taken.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Even if the front sight is off on your first range trip, you can always adjust the rear temporarily so you don't have to drive yourself crazy by constantly correcting. That Skinner has a windage adjustment on it.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 pm

ESquared wrote:Even if the front sight is off on your first range trip, you can always adjust the rear temporarily so you don't have to drive yourself crazy by constantly correcting. That Skinner has a windage adjustment on it.
Another good point...might not have to drift, easier to turn that little allen screw on the Skinner and rotate a hair. :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Yessir.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:15 am

If you have never shot a rifle with a peep sight either give yourself some slack. There is a little learning curve with it.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:36 am

BigAl52 wrote:If you have never shot a rifle with a peep sight either give yourself some slack. There is a little learning curve with it.
Yep, I'd start out at no more than 25 yds, as that small peep aperture tends to make that front bead sort of huge, and, before you know it, it's covering up your target.

Which leads some to try a Lyman Globe on the front and maybe some Shaver inserts, which are a little more finely detailed.

If there weren't opportunities to accessorize, it wouldn't be a "hobby," it would just be a "purchase," right?
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:49 am

ESquared wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:If you have never shot a rifle with a peep sight either give yourself some slack. There is a little learning curve with it.
Yep, I'd start out at no more than 25 yds, as that small peep aperture tends to make that front bead sort of huge, and, before you know it, it's covering up your target.

Which leads some to try a Lyman Globe on the front and maybe some Shaver inserts, which are a little more finely detailed.

If there weren't opportunities to accessorize, it wouldn't be a "hobby," it would just be a "purchase," right?
Thanks guys, maybe I will go ahead and try her out at the local 25 yd indoor range this week. Don't want to wait till we go to the cabin. That could be a month or so! Not that patient with a new rifle.. ;)
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 am

looking forward to following your reports as you get better acquainted with your SGC .... be sure to add it to our How Many ? thread .. 8-)
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 am

I'm pretty sure it was NCG who suggested that the key to using a peep sight is to ignore it. Focus on the front sight and the target as you peer through the peep. It was great advice that certainly helped me. I'm looking forward to your first range report, too.
markiver54 wrote:
Thanks guys, maybe I will go ahead and try her out at the local 25 yd indoor range this week. Don't want to wait till we go to the cabin. That could be a month or so! Not that patient with a new rifle.. ;)
ESquared wrote:

1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"