Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H001V .17 HMR ?

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: H001V .17 HMR ?

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:I compared the front sight of my H001T to my H001TV and the front sight of the 17HMR is taller.
I never used the iron sight because I scoped it right off.

I'd expect the front sight of the HMR to be taller. It shoots a bullet half the weight, twice as fast.
I'm surprised at the cheek weld you describe with the high comb the H001V is shown to come with.
Exactly!
Anyway, I went to take another look at it. At least the fella I talked to today was a lot more educated than the kid a couple days ago. Didn't really get accurate dimensions which might have been redundant anyway based on the adjustable elevation on the rear sight. I asked the guy to hold and aim it to see what he thought. He saw what I was talking about. He then gave the rear about 3 turns up, which did help a lot, however I still found it not very natural feeling to me. Looked like there was still a good amount of adjustment left but not sure then where that would put me on paper. Cheek weld was off and butt placement didn't feel right either. Maybe this just is not a good one for my anatomy...don't see why though...I'm pretty average IMO @ 6' 190lbs. I was getting very interested in the .17 HMR, and wanted it to be a Henry. ;) I guess a scope could make a whole lot of difference if I chose to go this route though.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Starting to think the H001L might be a better choice for duty up at the summer cabin and long rides up the mountain on the 4-wheeler. Shorter, being the carbine, comes with the large loop, which I like and more affordable to boot!!...decisions...decisions.. ;)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:38 pm

markiver54 wrote:Starting to think the H001L might be a better choice for duty up at the summer cabin and long rides up the mountain on the 4-wheeler. Shorter, being the carbine, comes with the large loop, which I like and more affordable to boot!!...decisions...decisions.. ;)
Well, if you're going to move away from the .17HMR and back toward 22LR, you'd do well to also consider the Small Game Carbine. It was my second Henry and it's like the complete package. Carbine length, large loop and Skinner Peep sight standard on the rear. Just so well balanced and fun to shoot. There are more fans than just me here on the forum, some of whom have even written that it's "the best 22LR Henry makes" or words to that effect. Great value, IMO.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800992687
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Wow! Thanks Evan. In looking through my Henry catalogue, I overlooked that model. I think those stock sights might work better for me also. Would rather not have to scope this one like I did with my BBS 357. Thanks for the insight!
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:15 pm

As a rimfire truck gun you can't beat a 17HMR.
A 22lr is a work horse for sure and it range suits the use of iron sights.
The HMR's reputation for accuracy, it's point blank range and explosive terminal capability, when needed, make it a better choice IMO.
It should be scoped though so I can understand why a 22lr could be perfered.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Mark
I have 2 SGC one is 22 mag. I prefer it over the 17. The 17 will outperform in the speed dept but 22 mag ammo manufactures have now done some bullet changing to 22 mag to narrow the gap. My mag shoots as good as the LR and you cant beat the peep sights on the SGC. Maybe you can find a local gun store that has one and check it out
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks a bunch Al. Mag had been my first choice until I read some accuracy issues right here. It is promising with what you have said to re-consider it in the decision making process!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am

markiver54 wrote: Cheek weld was off and butt placement didn't feel right either. Maybe this just is not a good one for my anatomy... I was getting very interested in the .17 HMR, and wanted it to be a Henry. ;) I guess a scope could make a whole lot of difference if I chose to go this route though.
markiver54 wrote:Wow! Thanks Evan. In looking through my Henry catalogue, I overlooked that model. I think those stock sights might work better for me also. Would rather not have to scope this one like I did with my BBS 357. Thanks for the insight!
markiver54 wrote:Thanks a bunch Al. Mag had been my first choice until I read some accuracy issues right here. It is promising with what you have said to re-consider it in the decision making process!
markiver54 wrote:
BigAl52 wrote:Mark are you going to use this for targets or pest extermination
Probably mostly pests!
As everyone knows, Mark, "there ain't no perfect rifle." But as I've read the decisions the .17HMR has placed in front of you, it doesn't sound like it's the best choice available. I've not shot a .17HMR, Henry or other. The main problems I've read about a .17HMR are cleaning issues due to very small bore size (what equipment, patches, etc. to use). Some folk argue that cleaning too often reduces its accuracy. Hard to believe the variables here.

That's enough about the .17HMR. I'm writing to come alongside Al and Evan since I have the Henry SGC in .22LR. Don't know what "pests" you are after, but this rifle would cause them pause. It is very accurate and extremely dependable. My nemesis in rifle shooting are the sights. For me, the receiver-mounted peep and cheek weld are perfect on the SGC. I'm sure the .22 Magnum SGC model is a fine rifle also, as Al has talked about it. I had a Henry Classic Lever Action .22 Magnum, H001M, before the SGC was ever produced. Talk about accurate, and the punch of that stronger caliber! All I did with my magnum was to change out the barrel-mounted buckhorn and put on a Skinner peep in its place. I like these iron sights best of all.

That is all my hooey of pros and cons. I'd consider Al, Evan, and me to be the "Big Three for the SGC!" That's from the many comments we three have made on our Forum about this great Henry model. You can't go wrong with the Henry SGC in either caliber! :D

And to end this less than 2c. It is definitely your choice. I'd say take your time, ask more questions, and try to get your hands on whatever Henry model you are considering. Good show on handling the .17HMR, discussing with the LGS folk, and discovering those issues that have appeared to make it a challenging "fit" for you.

Best in your search, and mulling around those decisions.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks a lot PT. I think I'm almost locked in on the SGC at this point. Most targets will probably be squirrels, coons and possums.
Don't see why it wouldn't be a good can slayer as well, in which case, the slightly cheaper LR ammo would seem to make more sense. Realistically, most shots will be well under 100 yards anyway. Your input is valued!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am

Don't be too hard on that "kid" behind the counter. He was right in that the vast majority of folks who shoot a rifle in 17 HMR do, in fact, opt for a scope, simply because of the cartridge's accuracy potential out to 100 yards and even a bit beyond. Our 17 HMRs are all capable of doing under an inch at 100 yards with a good scope. If you choose to shoot a 17 HMR with open sights, you'd be in a tiny minority. Ojaileveraction is right about the 22 LR being a better match for iron sight shooting.
2 x